Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-07-2008, 07:09 PM   #1

Share |

light position

I'm installing lights in our new bathroom. Can someone help with placement of recessed light over the 72" 2 sink counter, bathroom light/fan, recessed light over tub, recessed light over toilet?

Thanks

MikeyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #2

light position

I don't understand what you're looking for here. Are you asking about what is allowed and what isn't, or are you coming at this from an aesthetic angle (type and quantity of lights)?

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #3

light position

Lights alongside the mirror rather than overhead prevent that scary movie lighting effect.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #4

light position

I'm looking for specific position of the lights. Like the fan light should be centered on the tub 3' from the tub or recessed light over the sink should be directly over the sink or front edge of counter or 1'8" from wall.....
Old 12-07-2008, 09:56 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

light position

While a recessed light over the sink will give plenty of illumination to wash your hands, it will not help much in looking at yourself in the mirror.

Better to have some sort of hollywood or broadway lighting over the mirror, or a couple of side lights there to make it easier to see one's face.

I always recommend installing a recessed damp-location rated light over a shower or tub. You can locate the fart fan over the toilet area, or add a separate recessed light to make for better reading
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #6

light position

I'm not asking the question right. I know what lights I'm going to use. I don't know where to position them in the ceiling using feet/inches. Can anyone help with that?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #7

light position

Can someone help with placement of recessed light over the 72" 2 sink counter,

Don't use recessed light over the counters. The light MUST come from the wall to properly illuminate your face in the mirror. Trust me.

bathroom light/fan,

Center of the room.

recessed light over tub,

Away from the drain end about 12" off the wall if you like to read in the tub. If not, anywhere.

recessed light over toilet?

Directly over the toilet or anywhere close.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #8

light position

The recessed lights were for lighting the room only. I was going to put lights on the wall on each side of the mirrors. Does that should ok?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #9
Licensed Electrical Cont.

light position

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
Can someone help with placement of recessed light over the 72" 2 sink counter,

Don't use recessed light over the counters. The light MUST come from the wall to properly illuminate your face in the mirror. Trust me.

bathroom light/fan,

Center of the room.

recessed light over tub,

Away from the drain end about 12" off the wall if you like to read in the tub. If not, anywhere.

recessed light over toilet?

Directly over the toilet or anywhere close.
I have to say, I agree again on all counts. (I think this is a new record)

I will say though, with all that light, WHY recessed over the sink? That is completely unnecessary.
Also, WHY a fan/light? For the same reason.

How the heck big is this bathroom???
Old 12-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #10

light position

Also, how in the world can we give you feet and inches locations without seeing the bathroom in person or seeing the actual print?????

The 220/221 had it. Center tub. Center room. Center toilet. Vanity.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #11

light position

I know it seems like a lot of light but every site I've read about lighting says the biggest mistake/regret people make with bathroom remodel is lack of lighting. It's a small room "L Shaped" bathroom. The tub/toilet are in an 8x8 room. The L contains the double sink.

I know you haven't seen our bathroom to tell me where to position the lights but I would have positioned the fan centered on the tub about 2' in front of it and the toilet light just in front of the toilet. I was hoping there was a rule of thumb like 1' in front of your toilet or 2' in front of your tub.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #12

light position

GOOD vanity lights and placement are the key to good bathroom lighting. Exact placement depends on the fixture. After that all else is gravy IMO.

A light in the shower and over the bowl are nice to have.
I personally think a fan/light is useless. I like a fan only and a couple of recessed instead.