Light Noise - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

light noise

i wired a outlet so I could plug in a strip of LED lights that are able to run in different modes (flash, fade, different colors, etc) When I turn the LED lights on, the stereo, that is plugged into a different circut, has static that goes with the tempo of the lights. When I turn the lights off there is no static. What gives?

Advertisement

rodsteryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

light noise

To start off, I have a LED scrolling sign, LED open sign, neon clock, cell phone charger and a fluorescent light that all creates interference with my am/fm radio or CB radio. Its usually RF interference, since most of the stuff today is made with such low quality components, they leak RF signals.....

This doesn't mean that you don't have an electrical problem though (poor grounding, or reversed hot/neutral, that could cause a similar problem, or worse, an actual hazard/danger).........a sign does show though that when you turn them off, it stops. Do the lights operate on low voltage? (Adaptor/Transformer for the LED's) If so, this is probably the source of interference.....

Did you double check your wiring for your self installed outlet? I suggest getting a tester to test for the correct connections, and a multimeter to test the voltage......

Advertisement

seansy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,550

light noise

Interference from the LED controller. Not much you can do other than try a different brand of LED. It's a cheap controller with no noise suppression.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

light noise

Here is what I got.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040FJ27S/...60_cs_sce_dp_1
I used them in another part of the basement and they work good with no problem. i also checked the outlets with the 3 light tester and it says it is wired correctly.
rodsteryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

light noise

You could try one of these http://www.theenergydetective.com/in...d-noise-filter Even though it is for the TED MTU, it should work with your LED lighting. Just follow the directions as stated in the link.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote