Light My Greenhouse Please - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Light my greenhouse please

I am trying to run electricity to an 8x12 greenhouse that we built. I only need 1 outlet, maybe 2 if it stays simple. I have searched everywhere but this situation is a little different from what I'm trying to do. My greenhouse is literally 2-3 feet away from an outlet and switch inside my back garage door. I do not need to bury a line half way across my yard. I was hoping to piggyback a line into the greenhouse somehow. I really only need to run a fan and a light.

I have read many responses about burying a line 1.5 feet deep to the greenhouse, but the trench would be only 1 foot long before coming back up to the greenhouse. Is that really necessary? Everything I'm finding really seems like overkill for what I'm trying to achieve.

Help please?

Advertisement

Saundra1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

To me it is not that bad to dig a one foot long trench 18 inches deep.

If you did dig a shallower trench and did not enclose the cable in rigid conduit, no one would be the wiser -- until someone did some digging for some other purpose and accidentally cut the cable.

Also the result of this corner cutting will be comparable doing nothing at all and stringing an extension cord from the receptacle in the garage out to the greenhouse, and unplugging that and putting it away when you are done using power.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-17-2012 at 09:44 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Will you use the greenhouse year round or just seasonal? For that short of distance and for temporary use an extension cord would work with a GFCI.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,036

If the distance between buildings is only a few feet you could run conduit between them above ground or overhead.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoulton View Post
If the distance between buildings is only a few feet you could run conduit between them above ground or overhead.
That's what I was thinking, but I'm not sure if that meets code. The outside walls are just over 1 foot apart. I was thinking just to piggyback off of the outlet which ie just on the other side of the garage door, next to the light switch and then just run it across to the greenhouse and install 1 outlet inside. I just need a little light and maybe a fan or space heater during different times of year. No one can walk between the two buildings, it's too small.

I'm in Colorado, does anyone know if that meets any code requirements?

Digging a short trench in this area actually would be a little difficult. There is a poured concrete patio next to the greenhouse from the back garage door. There is lots of large rock and gravel that are just underground in this area.
Saundra1010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electricity , greenhouse , wiring