Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2008, 06:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Light fixture on siding block

I've just had siding installed and now have siding mounting blocks for my porch light fixtures. I've never worked with them before.

How do you go about installing the fixture to the box? Typically, light kits come with circular mounts that screw to the wiring box, then you attach the fixture to the mount.

With the siding block, I just have a vinyl block with the supply wire sticking out.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

usmcstormvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #2

I would think that they would have put your block where your fixture was located and the fixture box would be below , if they had a light fixture mounted before . You could carefully cut the siding away from the wire and look for the box location and get a box extension if the kit doesn't already have one . If you have a new wire that didn't have a box , you can mount a thin box in the block ,screwed to your old siding below and install the fixture like normal .

electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I was perplexed as the contractor stated that he "only needed the wire" to install the block/siding.

Fortunately, where the blocks were placed, he left the old boxes in place and I was able to install the fixture with the aid of longer electrical box screws.

I had planned on installing new outlets/lights in other locations while I had my house down to the sheathing, but he jumped the gun and had already installed the siding. I'll have to retro them in later now.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcstormvet View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I was perplexed as the contractor stated that he "only needed the wire" to install the block/siding.

Fortunately, where the blocks were placed, he left the old boxes in place and I was able to install the fixture with the aid of longer electrical box screws.

I had planned on installing new outlets/lights in other locations while I had my house down to the sheathing, but he jumped the gun and had already installed the siding. I'll have to retro them in later now.

The contractor was right all you need is the wire sticking out. They have a siding block that you can buy at a electrical store that just installs over the wire.
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:41 AM   #5

My original question was how to install the fixture to the block. This question was posed as I thought there was no elec box behind the siding block.

I now have a good understanding of how siding blocks are supposed to be installed and subsequent installation of fixtures, etc.

Thanks.