Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2007, 08:35 PM   #1

Share |

Light fixture issue

This isn't really electrical, but it involves the physical light fixture rather than the wiring.

Apparently our builder used a weird type of light fixture in our bathrooms. The glass domes are held together with screws, but rather than screwing directly into the fixture there's a small piece of metal between the screw and the unit. Well of course it wasn't screwed in properly, popped out, went down the sink, and now my light fixture isn't properly secured.

I haven't found any other light fixtures built like this and I don't even know what to call this setup to know where to find a replacement piece.

Anybody know what I'm looking for here?

baustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:27 PM   #2
Mechanical Contractor

Light fixture issue

Pull the trap off the sink I doubt very highly that a screw and sleeve would get washed over the trap arm. Solder it back in place.

MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:44 AM   #3
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Light fixture issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Pull the trap off the sink I doubt very highly that a screw and sleeve would get washed over the trap arm. Solder it back in place.
I agree but if not they are called shade fitter thumb screws. (I presently design for a high end lighting company.)

It could be off the shelf but also could be special, there's many. If you do not have the fixtures literature or box... If you take the canopy spinning off of the ceiling and get the E# code on the UL sticker, you can go to UL's website and get the manufacturers name using that. Google the name and call their customer service number, give them the model number thats also on the UL sticker.

This might be a good one to "sticky."
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Light fixture issue

If this is in an area where several houses were built by the same builder they tend use the same fixtures in many cases. Go to your neighbors for a visit then excuse yourself ....go to the bathroom and borrow one of these from his /her fixture........ well maybe not that isn't very neighborly.

Seriously looks like you need a small threaded sleeve that will insert into the hole from the back side. Try the specialty hardware aisle maybe you can find something you can bond behind the hole that will allow you to thread your screw to hold the dome. Might try a push nut on the back side of that hole and insert that one screw thru it.

stubbie
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:01 AM   #5
Master Electrician

Light fixture issue

It looks like it wasn't "screwed in improperly", but rather improperly sodered at the factory. The threaded slieve looks like it fell off, and that isn't the installers fault.

Yes I know the end result is the same, but at least the blame is where it belongs.
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote