Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Light dimming question

Just had the house completely rewired with new panels, circuits everything. When the dishwasher comes on, all lights in the kitchen dim. I am told this is normal and there is nothing to be done about it.
Is this so?

astounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Light dimming question

Quote:
Originally Posted by astounded View Post
Just had the house completely rewired with new panels, circuits everything. When the dishwasher comes on, all lights in the kitchen dim. I am told this is normal and there is nothing to be done about it.
Is this so?
That depends on many different factors. The most obvious, when the dishwasher is running, turn it's circuit breaker off. Do the kitchen lights also go off? If so, there is something that can be done about it.

LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
Electrician

Light dimming question

Quote:
Originally Posted by astounded View Post
Is this so?
This is not normal. They've got the dishwasher on the lighting circuit. Dishwasher needs it's own circuit. If they completely rewired the house, they should have ran a 14/3 under the sink which will be one circuit for the garbage disposer and one for the dishwasher. The lighting circuit should be for lighting only. The dishwasher's putting too much load on that circuit.
tomreva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Light dimming question

Quote:
This is not normal. They've got the dishwasher on the lighting circuit. Dishwasher needs it's own circuit
Could be.....but not necessarily.

There are quite a few things that could be wrong. Your electrician will be able to pinpoint it. Your handyman will say it's normal.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
Union Electrician

Light dimming question

Ladies and gentlemen, I think we've got a slogan fit for a shirt:

Quote:
Your electrician will be able to pinpoint it. Your handyman will say it's normal.
Proverbial nail, meet the hammer: 220/221
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
Electrician

Light dimming question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomreva View Post
they should have ran a 14/3 under the sink which will be one circuit for the garbage disposer and one for the dishwasher. The lighting circuit should be for lighting only. The dishwasher's putting too much load on that circuit.

A tad overkill, no?
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:53 PM   #7

Light dimming question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
A tad overkill, no?
I don't know. Further investigation shows that any appliance plugged into the wall- hairdryer, toaster, blender etc. causes the lights to dim. On the other wall no. Just this wall along the sink which includes garbage disposal (not yet installed) dishwasher, two lights and four extra plugs on GFI's. No appliance can be plugged into the plugs. I'm not an experienced electrician but it tells me something is wrong.

Earlier in the room next door, turning on the lights caused the television to snap and the picture to jump. That was fixed and the problem was "ballast". What is ballast?
Old 04-01-2008, 05:51 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Light dimming question

Sounds like the wall you were referring to is the original to the kitchen, which is probably on a 15amp circuit if the house is old enough. A house rewire will not change this condition,, as it is grandfathered in. If you don't want the lights to dim, take them off the kitchen circuit and rewire the dishwasher to its own circuit.

If the dishwasher is already on a separate circuit than the problem might be a loose connection on that phase or a Utility problem with that phase.

Get someone qualified to work on you panel. Maybe someone with a valid license that might be able to pinpoint the problem.
NAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #9

Light dimming question

If the lights are on the same circuit as the items being plugged in , you likely have a loose connection somewhere.

You could have a 3 wire home run with both circuits on the same phase.

You could have a lot of things. Find someone knowledgable to troubleshoot this before any serious damage is done.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #10

Light dimming question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIL View Post
Sounds like the wall you were referring to is the original to the kitchen, which is probably on a 15amp circuit if the house is old enough. A house rewire will not change this condition,, as it is grandfathered in. If you don't want the lights to dim, take them off the kitchen circuit and rewire the dishwasher to its own circuit.

If the dishwasher is already on a separate circuit than the problem might be a loose connection on that phase or a Utility problem with that phase.

Get someone qualified to work on you panel. Maybe someone with a valid license that might be able to pinpoint the problem.
No grandfathering here. The house has all new panels, wiring, posts, all new meters, wires to the pole etc. The kitchen was upgraded from a 15 amp to a twenty. It does not matter if the lights are on the dishwasher circuit- they dim when ANYTHING is plugged in- toaster, blender, etc. The inspector is coming tomorrow to sign it all off. I will ask him if this is normal for him. My contractor keeps telling me this is perfectly normal. He says his kitchen does the same thing. Pointing out to him that his house is actually older than mine has no effect. I do not think it is normal for all new construction which is what this was supposed to be.
And then I guess I will hire someone who is an actual electrician rather than a B contractor.
Thanks.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:24 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

Light dimming question

If everything is on seperate circuits than we are back to the whole phase dropping due to a loose connection somewhere all the way back to the utility transformer.

I would keep pressure on the contractor and the utility company until it getts resolved.

Usually it ends with the utility company claiming it falls within an acceptacle voltage drop range and will not be altered.
NAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #12

Light dimming question

Quote:
The inspector is coming tomorrow to sign it all off. I will ask him if this is normal for him
If it is inspected, make sure he INSPECTS it. You must have at least 2 kitchen outlet circuits PLUS a circuit for the DW/DISP and a separate microwave circuit if it is built in. The lighting must be on a separate circuit.

What you have is NOT normal.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:37 PM   #13
Union Electrician

Light dimming question

Per usual, I'm with 220. This is NOT a normal condition in a properly installed system. Look for the circuits they described. Make sure the breakers control the loads they say they do and ONLY those loads.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:35 AM   #14

Light dimming question

Astounded, are the lights on the same circuit as those wall outlets, and or the dishwasher, or not?

LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote