DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   Light cord to screw in socket adapter? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/light-cord-screw-socket-adapter-70291/)

Charger 05-01-2010 12:02 PM

Light cord to screw in socket adapter?
 
I'm having trouble finding parts for what I want to do. Can you let me know if I'm crazy or if there's a name for them I'm failing to think of.

I want to wire what would essentially be a flexible extension for a light socket. As I envision it I'd start with a conventional porcelain socket, wire it to a flexible cord (kind doesn't really matter) and then to a screw-in socket adapter, which I would screw into the an existing medium base socket.

The goal, obviously, is to get the light a little lower than it is now. What I'm having trouble finding is the screw-in end of the thing. There are socket adapters for smaller bulbs, or for shorter socket extensions, or for plugs, but I can't seem to find one that I could wire my cord into.

Does such a thing exist? Is there a reason it doesn't? Can I DIY it from some other product?

Thanks all for any thoughts.

kennzz05 05-01-2010 12:23 PM

install the plug adapter into the exsisting bulb socket cut down an extension cord wire another porcelain socket to the end of the cord?? but sounds like a jerry rig to me or is it jury rig

brric 05-01-2010 12:29 PM

Extensions are available. Lighting supply house would be your best bet. You mightnget lucky at Lowes, Menards or Home Depot.

J. V. 05-01-2010 12:55 PM

Sounds like a fire waiting to happen. Get the right fixture and do not rig up anything.

Wildie 05-01-2010 01:52 PM

Screw in, parallel blade adapters have been used for all of the 20th century! Most hardware stores carry these!
Wire a standard lamp cord into a lamp socket, using the length that you require.
Plug it in and you are away to the races!

secutanudu 05-01-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. V. (Post 436199)
Sounds like a fire waiting to happen. Get the right fixture and do not rig up anything.

This sounds good to me :)

Wildie 05-01-2010 03:54 PM

Give me a break! These adapters have been used for a hundred years and have never caused a problem!
If there was a problem, they would have been banned long before your Daddy met your Mother!

I sometimes think that if you guy's never heard of it, its automatically a fire hazard!

nap 05-01-2010 04:06 PM

and realize there is no ground source available through the screw in adapters. If the light is required to be grounded, it is simply illegal. Then, depending on exactly how this Frankenstein's monster is constructed, there is a very good chance it is not code compliant.

and the reason the OP cannot find one to wire a cord to is most likely because they do not make them because the would not be code compliant in almost any application.

Wildie 05-01-2010 08:16 PM

Check this link! P&S makes one and is probably available at ACE hardware!

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/Sea...ket+receptacle

see KEYLESS LAMP SOCKET ADAPTER at the bottom of the page!

J. V. 05-02-2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildie (Post 436248)
Give me a break! These adapters have been used for a hundred years and have never caused a problem!
If there was a problem, they would have been banned long before your Daddy met your Mother!

I sometimes think that if you guy's never heard of it, its automatically a fire hazard!

First of all, I know exactly what the adaptor is. I have one in my tool bag. I use it with a corded lamp or a place to plug an extension cord when I have no other means of power. Temporarily.
I did not have a problem with the adaptor, but the fixture (socket) he was going to use. I may have not understood his question. If he was using a corded fixture then I have no issue at all.

His Quote: and then to a screw-in socket adapter, which I would screw into the an existing medium base socket.

You get all huffy real quick don't you? Calm down, it's a DIY forum.

nap 05-02-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildie (Post 436335)
Check this link! P&S makes one and is probably available at ACE hardware!

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/Sea...ket+receptacle

see KEYLESS LAMP SOCKET ADAPTER at the bottom of the page!

you apparently missed this on the original post:

Quote:

but I can't seem to find one that I could wire my cord into.
OP said nothing about plugging anything in and as I said, if the light is required to be grounded, there is nothing that would make it legal even using a plug in type attachment.

jbfan 05-02-2010 06:04 PM

If you want the light lower, intall a pendent light.
It would look better, and be more code compliant than a homemade something.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved