Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Light Bulbs Blowing

Hopefully someone has an idea on a problem. Moved in a house built in 2006 about six months ago and we are going thru light bulbs like crazy. It's not just one light, it's lights throughout the home. Regular 60 watt bulbs and flood light bulbs in recessed lights. Do not know much about electrical work so put responses in dummy terms. I can figure it out how to fix or what needs to fixed or if its out my league and need to call electrician. Any ideas will help.

ffhicks81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,130

Light Bulbs Blowing

You should have the voltage checked. This sounds like you may have an overvoltage condition, which could be caused by a bad neutral from the power company, or a bad neutral in your panel. This can be checked if you have an accurate voltmeter, voltage should be around 120 volts. High voltage can easily cause damage to bulbs and other electrical devices.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,492

Light Bulbs Blowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
You should have the voltage checked. This sounds like you may have an overvoltage condition, which could be caused by a bad neutral from the power company, or a bad neutral in your panel. This can be checked if you have an accurate voltmeter, voltage should be around 120 volts. High voltage can easily cause damage to bulbs and other electrical devices.
What Dan said.

You need to check it quick....otherwise your going to potentially damage other electrical devices in the house.

If you don't have a decent voltmeter and know how to use it, then call an electrician.

As an additional FYI...I had the same problem a few years ago. If I turned on my table saw in the garage, the computer in the house would reset. A quick test with my voltmeter showed one side of my power going up to 135Vac and the other dropping down to 105Vac when a load was turned on.

We called the power company the next day...that afternoon they knocked on the door to inform us they would be out in a day or two to replace the transformer (been there for over 50 years).

In talking to neighbors we found out they were having the same issues. No problem after the transformer was replaced. They thanked me....

So..talk to your neighbors...if they are having similar issues (neighbors on the same transformer), then it is most like a poll problem. If no one is having the same issue...it's in your house.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Light Bulbs Blowing

Thank you for replying gentleman. Ill have it checked out.
ffhicks81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,492

Light Bulbs Blowing

ffhick.....BTW....you might want to try some CFL's. The fact that your using incandescent's suggest that your maybe using the last of the available bulbs....which could be of questionable quality. Pretty soon you won't be able to buy them...at least the 60 & 75W flavors....time to get something that uses less electricity.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Light Bulbs Blowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
ffhick.....BTW....you might want to try some CFL's. The fact that your using incandescent's suggest that your maybe using the last of the available bulbs....which could be of questionable quality. Pretty soon you won't be able to buy them...at least the 60 & 75W flavors....time to get something that uses less electricity.
This is good advice to a point, but dont start putting in the more expensive CFLs until you have made sure there arent issues. I had a bad fixture combined with share dneutrals that was killing CFLs once every other month until I figured out why. Would have much rather blown up a few junk bulbs first.
OCPik4chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Light Bulbs Blowing

Could be something as simple as a loose neutral at the box. I suppose it could be a failing breaker if the bulbs are always on the same circuit. It may not be bad. To tighten connections you have to pull the panel off the box and if you are not comfortable working back there by all means call an electrician.

Learning the basics of a voltmeter is not a bad idea as you may be able to at least diagnose some electrical problems and source things like switches, outlets, and bulb receptacles gone bad. You can then decide if you are up to replacing them or if you need to call someone.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote