Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #1

Share |

Light Breaker keeps tripping

Hi Guys I hope you can help me

I've tried replacing my bedroom light from a standard celing rose to a 3-spotlight bar light.

On my first attempt I got the light working with no problems however I wasn't happy with the position I had installed it as it wasn't perfectly straight, so I adjusted the bracket and connected the light backup as soon as I tried to turn the light on the breaker tripped. I checked my wiring and decided that the wires were probably a bit tight now tht the bracket was moved slightly so I've made the hole bigger and reconnected everyting and again the breaker trips. I tried moving the light back to the original 'not straight' position but still no luck!

Whats worse is that even with no light installed - just the bracket. i cant get the breaker back on? The bracket is metal so could it be that it is effecting the cables somehow?

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated before I give up and call out an electrictian!

Robbie
robbiecookie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

If the breaker won't stay on you have a short. Check to make sure a hot wire is not in contact with the bracket or box.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #3

Pull the fixture back down (breaker off) and look for any discoloration where the wire touches the bracket or the box itself, if metal. Is this light contollled with a wall switch? If so, you may have wired it incorrectly. Please do all of your inspections with the power off. If you can't find the proplem, call someone qualified to do so.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #4

Hi Both

Thank you for your replies. I can confirm that I managed to work out the problem.

Basically I had wired the wrong cable for the switched live.

Thanks again!

Robbie
robbiecookie101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, light, trip