Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #1

Share |

Light box for finished ceiling

Need to install a octagon style light box into an already finished ceiling(1/2" drywall), no joists or solid material above to attach to in the area that I need the light fixture. I know these boxes exist for x-gang boxes, but not sure if they do for lights. Recommendations?

n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #2

Not sure if you mean your fixture is octagon shaped or you need an octagon shaped electrical box for your fixture...

Anyway for the electrical box, I would cut out the drywall and nail in a 2 x 4 and attach the box to that or use one of these...

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #3

Can I just sneak in a 2x4 and secure it through the drywall, then attach a box? It doesn't have to be an octagon box, but I've always only used those for lights and they seem to work very well for lining up a variety of fixtures.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Why not just use an "old work" lighting box? Its the same idea as a sheet rock box for a wall switch or outlet, but its round. I used several when I installed a bunch of smoke detectors at my house. Probably wouldn't be good for a heavy light fixture though.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0c7 View Post
Need to install a octagon style light box into an already finished ceiling(1/2" drywall), no joists or solid material above to attach to in the area that I need the light fixture. I know these boxes exist for x-gang boxes, but not sure if they do for lights. Recommendations?
How heavy is the fixture? If it is a small light like you'd use in a hallway, then an old work round box would be appropriate. If it is a ceiling fan or chandelier, then you must add support to it. You can get a fan brace box that's about $15 dollars at Home Depot. It is a two piece threaded bar that fits into the ceiling hole and tightens against the joists. Then you attach the box to it. Or you can climb in the attic and nail a 2x4 between joists to put the box on.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #6

It's going to be a small track lighting style fixture. Not too heavy. Not worried about weight. I can't get into the attic, this is in a basement with finished ceiling.

The old work boxes, you just cut hole, push up, clamp, screw?
Old 10-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #7
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0c7 View Post
It's going to be a small track lighting style fixture. Not too heavy. Not worried about weight. I can't get into the attic, this is in a basement with finished ceiling.

The old work boxes, you just cut hole, push up, clamp, screw?
A Carlon B618R is the one I prefer. You cut hole, put wire in box, put box in hole, and tighten 3 screws which swing clips out to engage sheetrock.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #8
Phil

Start with the fixture's mount plate first. Then see what box will provide for the best mounting solution with the smallest hole saw. Many setups have a square junction and not round and some make little or no use of the box to support the weight of the junction and track sections. If the wire is going through the ceiling and then the connection is made in a surface mount fixture you do not necessarily need a second junction box inside the ceiling.

Important also to check the bulbs used and how easy it will be to find replacements - ie G-10 versus MR16.

Phillysun is offline   Reply With Quote