Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Leviton 20A timer in bathroom

Hi,

I want to install timer for our bathroom fan. I bought the Leviton 6230M timer which has a setting for 5 min/10 min/15/min/30 min. The timer has 4 wires --- black (line conductor), blue (load conductor), green, and white.

The fan is hooked up to 2 three-way switches - one on the 1st floor and the 2nd in the bathroom itself. Since we never used the switch on the 1st floor, we are fine with just being able to control the fan from the bathroom.

The three-way switches have 4 wires attached --- white, red, black #1 (pushed in) and black #2 (screwed to the copper connection). Both black wires are located in the same corner of the switch.

What is the best way to hook up the timer? Again, we can live without the three-way switching.

Thanks.

axeldicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

DO both 3-ways have 4 conductors installed as described? If not, which switch has the 4 wires in it?

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 48

What other wires are in the box where you want to install the timer? Tell us all the wires in the switch box. You need a neutral wire to use that switch.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #4

im guessing the switch leg is in the bathroom itself. Open the box, find the switch leg, find power. and if ur switch has 4 screws its not a 3 way its a 4 way, do more homework and post again
longbeach1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #5

I appreciate all your responses.

Just to clarify, the switch in the bathroom is housed inside a junction box with another switch. The other switch is for the lights. So black #2 delivers the power to the junction box. It's connected first to the fan switch and then ends up in the light switch.

I opened the junction box to get a better look of all the wirings. There are four cables coming into the box. One comes from the light, one from the fan, one is the feed, and the last one is for the three-way setup or you call travellers. The cables from the light, fan, feed are your typical black/white/ground.

I attempted to hook up the timer yesterday. To summarize the wiring I did,
Timer's BLACK to black#2 (which delivers the power from the feed)
Timer's BLUE to black#1 ((the one that was pushed in which I believe came from the fan)
Timer's GREEN to junction box ground
Timer's WHITE to travellers' white

I capped off the travellers' red. I did not touch the travellers' black as it was already bundled up with a set of black wires.

When I tried it, I could see a pilot light from the timer which probably means it has power. When I used one of the settings (5 mins), I could hear a low hum but the fan does not turn on. When I turn it timer off, it will stop humming.

I then tried to connect the Timer's WHITE to other whites already bunched together. I got the same results.

Now I wonder if I have the right switch since it says 20A when I have a 15A breaker in the breaker box.

Please pardon my use of non-technical terms.

Thanks again.
axeldicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 48

Guessing doesn't work for electricity. You need to open the fan and see what the connections are for the red and black wires.
Unless this is a three way switch setup you do not have travelers.