Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2008, 05:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

LED vs. Halogen for outdoor lighting project

Looking for some input on what anyone thinks or if anyone has any experience using outdoor accent lighting that is either halogen or LED. I know that LED costs more upfront but saves in the long run but is it really worth it? Can you get the same effect with the lower wattage? Anyone have any idea or experience?

philsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

To me, LED is better for accent lighting. Especially in the LED Light Rope form. The Halogen lights are more for spot lights. Single lights that shine at a specific object.

My buddy installed LED Rope lighting (blue color) under the railing system of his deck. re: Strings along the horizontal deck and down his stairs. At night, it looks really cool.

For out-doors, I like the low volt system. Much more forgiving when getting beaten by rain, snow and ice. The 110/120V system requires too much GFCI and PVC piping costs. Thus, might be best to only install low volt (12V) systems. Or, stay with wireless solar - for some areas as well.

Hope this helps...

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

helps a lot. thanks. how much LED power do you need to match a standard incandescent? or would the power/savings trade off not be worth it?
philsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 09:38 PM   #4
Union Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

As far as I know, LED can equal an incandescent in brightness, but needs a much larger cluster to do so. With accent lighting, that brightness need is removed and allows you to use a smaller cluster of lights, reducing cost. This is a fairly good comparison website:http://www.ccrane.com/lights/led-light-bulbs/index.aspx
Actually, since I've last checked ( about 6 years ago) these prices have come down significantly. I remember seeing a 30W equivalent for like $85. Maybe my memory is shot. I don't know.
I think the best thing about LED lights is their low current consumption and their lack of Hg. I think the worst thing about LED lights are their color rendition. It's up to you. Good luck!
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote