Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

LED Under Cabinet Puck Lights Go On and Off

Hello,

We have under-cabinet LED pucks that were installed a year ago. The lights work, but periodically one or more of the lights will arbitrarily go off. Each puck has a switch on it and when I toggle the switch off and then back to on the light comes back on. But it will eventually go out again after a day or so.

I unscrewed the bracket and see the lights have wires going into the cabinetry (we didn't install them).

Any idea why the lights keep going out and how to fix? Do we have to call an electrician?

Thanks

racket99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by racket99 View Post
Hello,

We have under-cabinet LED pucks that were installed a year ago. The lights work, but periodically one or more of the lights will arbitrarily go off. Each puck has a switch on it and when I toggle the switch off and then back to on the light comes back on. But it will eventually go out again after a day or so.

I unscrewed the bracket and see the lights have wires going into the cabinetry (we didn't install them).

Any idea why the lights keep going out and how to fix? Do we have to call an electrician?

Thanks
Sound like some loose wiring, which ought to be a pretty simple fix (knock on wood). Can you post a pic of exactly what you see when you remove the bracket? If the wiring is accessible, you can probably fix (or at least troubleshoot) it yourself.

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Actually the lights are halogen not LED. They are small discs with an on/off switch in front. When I unscrew the light puck has some sort of film or band running across back and there are two brown wires that connect into some sort of connection socket (has white plastic plugs). The brown wires go into the cabinet and then reappear on top where they connect to a transformer/power source.

Will try to take a picture and post later. Wondering if they are overheating and turning off as a built-in protection mechanism
racket99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Loose wire. I would disable these lights now, until you can get them fixed, otherwise, once that loose wire decides to short to the metal, or decides to start overheating the circuit to cause a fire, you will have problems. Let's hope that you get it fixed, and your house does not burn down from leaving it as is.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,088

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Loose wire. I would disable these lights now, until you can get them fixed, otherwise, once that loose wire decides to short to the metal, or decides to start overheating the circuit to cause a fire, you will have problems. Let's hope that you get it fixed, and your house does not burn down from leaving it as is.
Huh,..??..??

It's Low voltage, Low wattage, Low amperage...

The chance of a Fire, is slightly Less than being struck by Lightening, on a bright sunny day, with not a single cloud in the sky....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,284

I have had a lot of problems with cheap switchs,
They are usually not up to the job, currrent wise,
So the contacts overheat and usually they become faulty,
Sometimes they work ok for a little while,
then suddenly stop.
Check the switch !
Quote:
Originally Posted by racket99 View Post
Hello,

Thanks

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, lighting, under cabinet