LED Under Cabinet Lighting - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

LED Under Cabinet Lighting

I wonder if someone has any ideas how we can solve a lighting problem. We are in the proceeds of doing our kitchen and wanted to have under cupboard lighting - my hubby brought some LED lighting from Wicks (the triangle small ones 0.15w Bondi.) They look very nice until you turn them on, they give out no light what so ever. We did make the fatal mistake of thinking they would get brighter the longer they were on so my hubby carried on installing them. But no luck, they are rubbish! So, we have these lights and I thought I could change the light bulbs without changing the wiring - do you think this is possible as so far I've no luck in finding ones which would fit?

Advertisement

Kstrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

LED lights are setup very specific based on their wattage & the power supply
Is there an actual lights bulb to change?
On my LED puck lights there isn't a light bulb, you need to change the whole puck
I have 3 pucks that use a total of 4 watts, 12 LEDS in each
Picked them up at HD, can be expanded to 6 pucks

LED's never get brighter the longer they are on - that is CFL's

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Do you possibly have the wrong power supply connected to the lights? Usually its low voltage 12 volts, but maybe these require 24 volts?

Usually you can go from a halogen or xenon bulb to an LED insert, but I don't think you can change from LED to a traditional halogen or xenon bulb. Wiring should probably be ok to chang out the lights to something else, what gauge wire was used to connect the lights up with? I probably wouldnt go any smaller than 14 or 16 gauge wire.

My undercabinet lights I routed 4 runs of 14 gauge wire to all my lights and to the cabinet under the sink where the transformer(s) will sit. I think to start out with I will be running 5 10-watt bulbs, but with the ability to upgrade to more lights or change out to 20 watt bulbs if I need to.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote