Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2008, 08:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

led trouble light

Do you have any input on the new LED style trouble light. I read on some controversy abouy the amount of light it gives off ? SOME SAY GREAT AND SOME SAY NOT ENOUGHT OF LIGHT. Does anyone have any knowledge about these lights. Any recommendation on good brands or bad brands to stay away from ?

Please shine a little light on this

TAKE PRIDE I.Y.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
Res Ipsa Loquitur

led trouble light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKE PRIDE I.Y.W View Post
Do you have any input on the new LED style trouble light. I read on some controversy abouy the amount of light it gives off ?
I bought a Craftsman on sale (17.00 in the Craftsman Club) and I like it, it is bright for me -but be aware many LED lights are directional- it has about 60 LEDs. It focuses more like a flashlight, less like a floodlight.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:50 AM   #3

led trouble light

One benefit of LED's is that they don't burn out like incandescent/halogen lamps. They're also very very very durable.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #4

led trouble light

10,000 hr. to 100,000 hr. lifetime, long battery lifetime, not sensitive to mechanical shock like a filament is, no glass envelope to break, 1/5th as much heat for the same light.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 12-05-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:45 PM   #5

led trouble light

I have a Bayco rechargable led work light that has i think 60 leds and it works great, the batt lasts quite a while on a charge too.
Plumbvoltage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
motivator

led trouble light

I've had one of those as a back up for a couple years now. In a really dark area it may be ok and LED lights are very durable.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:46 AM   #7

led trouble light

For a plain ol' plug-in trouble light, I personally just use a 23 watt (100w equiv.) spiral CFL in place of the incandescent bulb. I like the "daylight" type. Tons of light, stays relatively cool, and no filament to break when you inevitably jar or drop the light. I've gone through three 60 watt light bulbs in as many hours due to knocking the trouble light around in the past--no more with a CFL, and more light to boot. An economical alternative to replacing your perfectly good trouble light with an expensive LED model that's almost, but not quite ready for prime time.

(I try to be careful not to break the glass CFL, because of the mercury in the bulb, and so far, so good. I've never broken an incandescent trouble light either though.)

Give it a few more years, and LEDs will be a great energy-saving, and simple, low voltage--no ballast required--alternative to flourescent and gas-arc. The LED street lamps on the new 35W Mississippi River bridge (not the colored accent lighting, but the white LED lighting on the roadway) are an indicator of great things to come, but those are still slightly dimmer than high-pressure sodium, and still a little pricy for the common man.
thegonagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #8

led trouble light

LED's have a lot of advantages over incandescents.

The biggest one to me is they keep working if they get dropped. I don't know how many times I have had to replace the bulb after I dropped my trouble light.

Light is a matter of output. LED lights are brighter or dimmer just as a 40 watt bulb is not as bright as a 60 watt bulb.

More LED's does not mean brighter. LED's are make differently and the cheaper ones are not as bright as the better ones. The Luxeon Star has been the leader brightness for years. I have several flashlights that use the 3 watt Luxeon Star and they are very bright.

The key to LED's is that more is not better. My Luxeon Star puts out more light than my buddies 11 LED light. His will last longer on a set of batteries because it uses less power since it puts out less light.

We are so used to watts to determine brightness and don't know how to judge LED's. These are measured in candela (previously foot candles) and lumens. Watts never really measured brightness because there were frosted bulbs, clear bulbs, the new blue coated bulbs and each put out differeing amounts of light. Wattage just measured the amount of energy it took to work at its maximum brightness.

My advice is to learn lumens and candelas. This will give you an idea on just how much light the device will put out and is way more accurate than the wattage.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #9

led trouble light

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegonagle View Post
Give it a few more years, and LEDs will be a great energy-saving, and simple, low voltage--no ballast required--alternative to flourescent and gas-arc. The LED street lamps on the new 35W Mississippi River bridge (not the colored accent lighting, but the white LED lighting on the roadway) are an indicator of great things to come, but those are still slightly dimmer than high-pressure sodium, and still a little pricy for the common man.
Yes, these are pricey. The big savings actually comes in the time it takes to replace them. They last longer and therefore need less maintenance.

It's never about the cost of the bulb, it's the cost of sending out an expensive truck with a crew, setting up the safety cones, having flaggers sometimes and then replacing a very cheap, relatively, bulb.