Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Knows everything but that

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

LED recessed night lighting

So I was thinking about doing a recessed night lighting at the top of my staircase to the second floor. I want something that will never turn off so LED seems like an effecient choice, however, they are ellusive little buggers. I want more of a spot lighting than flood and something very dim that wont be noticeable during the daylight hours but will provide enough light for guests or children finding their way around in the dark. Anyone have any expirience or suggestions on these? Ive found a ton of options available in 220v from europe but it seems the americans are never up on effecient energy savings, no matter how much they think they are.

Shane

JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Sparkaholic

Send a message via Yahoo to sparks1up

I have seen LED lamps that are made to replace MR 16 50 Watt lamps and work in the same fixture as the MR 16's! These replacement lamps come in different colors and only use 1-watt of power and come close to matching the output of the 50-watt MR 16.

The Company I got them from is called Aurora Lighting but I am sure many others have them too!

www.auroraoutdoor.us.com

I am not necessarily recommending that you buy from this Company but you might get an idea of what you want by looking at their website. Personally I was not thrilled with their service.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #3
Union Electrician

I'd recommend something like this. I think the lamp life is honest. Some claim 50,000 hours and I think 25,000 sounds fair. The beam spread on this is 25 deg. so it seems slightly tighter than your usual PAR 20. Top bulb is a great site and really does have every lamp under the sun. It's kind of cool just wandering through. Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_...roductID=54180
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #4

I'm using a landscaping transformer & MR16 12v LED bulbs to wire up around my house
Right now I only have 3 in the kitchen that are setup on another transformer which has a sensor & 2-4-6-8 hour timer

I picked up about 40 of the LED lights 2 years ago $4 each as part of a Christmas light order
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakAHearts View Post
I want more of a spot lighting than flood and something very dim that wont be noticeable during the daylight hours but will provide enough light for guests or children finding their way around in the dark.
Figure out how much light you need, in lumens or lux. Use a flashlight or penlight to do comparisons and/or use a digital camera as an exposure meter to read your light level. A standard 2 D cell flashlight possibly puts out a beam at 200 lumens and a 5w nightlight puts out 25 lumens, omnidirectional.

Find some LEDs that can be focussed into spots.
Using a 12 vac or 24 vac transformer, the rest of the circuitry [full wave diode bridge, adjustable voltage dropping resistor or adjustable current source] can be built around this for a few bucks. The less certain the needed light level, the more adjustability needed.

http://www.hosfelt.com/contents/en-us/d762.html

Last edited by Yoyizit; 06-09-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:09 AM   #6

Try this link . I have 22 of these though out my house for the same exact thing you are trying to do ( NITE LIGHTS ) Some are on Wall switches and some are on door switches , have 8 of them over my tub in the color of amber a very nice accent . ( BERKLEY POINT ) is the source that I purchase these from . Suncor is another source for these mini leds. hope this helps or is what you are looking for................... Kerry
kerry42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks1up View Post
I have seen LED lamps that are made to replace MR 16 50 Watt lamps and work in the same fixture as the MR 16's! These replacement lamps come in different colors and only use 1-watt of power and come close to matching the output of the 50-watt MR 16.

The Company I got them from is called Aurora Lighting but I am sure many others have them too!

www.auroraoutdoor.us.com

I am not necessarily recommending that you buy from this Company but you might get an idea of what you want by looking at their website. Personally I was not thrilled with their service.
Some really cool stuff! Makes me want to buy some lake front property! lol

gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote