Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #1

Share |

LED Lighting in ceiling tray - safe?

Hi, I need help to confirm I am not in violation of any electrical code for my project. This room is a part of the condo on the last 4th floor, Los Angeles, CA.
I am making a ceiling tray 7" high, 12" deep on the wall 145" long above the window at the top. It's a frame made of 2x4's and 2x2's and drywall. I believe, it's called a ceiling tray.
I'd like to add several LED recessed lights to the bottom of this tray closer to the outer edge (as the primary lighting for the room except natural light; I'd like bright lighting for this room, so, I really would like to have these lights done) and LED rope lights at the top (for decorative purposes, so, I may skip this part for now).
I am going to attach Ikea Kvartal track about 3" from the window on the bottom of this ceiling tray after painting it. So, the lights would be about 6" away from the curtains.
I am going to run the electrical cord for the lights along the wall under an electric cord track to the electric plug-in outlet on the same wall.
Is it safe to have it as a plugged-in fixture? Is my plan going to violate any electric code? How many lights can I add there?
Thank you for your answers in advance.

sitdykova is offline   Reply With Quote