Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

led light bulbs getting hot

I've installed 6 4 inch IC rated line voltage cans in my ceiling and put 6 led bulbs in there..I went to go take one of them out and they were abnormally hot...can anyone think of a reason why they are getting that hot?

brises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,138

Most LED lamps have electronic circuitry in them,
This is the voltage regulator circuits.
Yes they will produce some heat.
most electronic components are rated at 85 degree's celcius.
so what we call hot, to a component could be perfectly normal.

If you really think it is too hot,
Then improve the ventilation behind the can!
You cant stick a heat producing light into a sealed space
and not expect it to get hot!

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Hot is a relative term. Many electrical items operate at what some peple would consider too hot but is actually normal operation.

Are the can lights you installed rated to handle the lamps you installed?

Look inside the can light. There should be a large sticker indicating what type and wattage of lamps you can use.
parman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by parman
Hot is a relative term. Many electrical items operate at what some peple would consider too hot but is actually normal operation.

Are the can lights you installed rated to handle the lamps you installed?

Look inside the can light. There should be a large sticker indicating what type and wattage of lamps you can use.
The sticker inside says 50 watt max r20 or par20..I put the ecosmart 8 watt par20 led bulbs in there I bought from home depot so I just don't understand how the bulbs are getting hot like a regular light bulb
brises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

LEDs get hot just like anything else. Next time your in a big box feel the heat Comming off an led tv or laptop screen.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 560

Never could figure out why energy efficient led fixtures need a heat sink base. Anyone?
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,282

Time for a little physics lesson.....

You can assume that when you look at a bulb and it says xx wattage....not only is that the # of watts of electricity that it uses, but is also how much heat it produces. Hence, a 60w incandescent puts out about 60 watts of heat...a 13w CFL puts out about 13 watts of heat....and your 8w LED bulb puts out about 8 watts of heat.

The energy effeciency is a function of how much light is put out by that bulb. If your 8w LED is putting out as much light as your 60w incandescent....well...now you start to understand why there is a push to get away from incandescents.

Now, I should point out that the 'watts' coming out of the bulb is in two forms of heat...the physical heat (what you feel with your hand) and the heat from the light waves. If you cover the bulb with a glass cover...the light would still provide a small amount of heating on the surface of what ever it strikes...it's small...but still heat...the amount of which is a function of the light freq and the surface of what it hits.

Because LED's operate at such a low voltage (around 3 volts I believe for the current designs), you have to have quite a bit of electronics to reduce your house voltage of 120Vac down to 3Vdc. Additionally, the actually LED's themselves are what are really getting hot. Most of the heat you feel is actually coming off the LED die. Because heat is electronics worse enemy, they have to get the heat away from that die....so, it is mounted on a large heat sink.

To get a relative idea as to if it is too hot....go grab the surface of a 5w incandescent bulb for a night light....bet you will burn your fingers....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote