Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #1

Share |

LED light bulbs

My house has some outdoor lights installed using GU10 50W 110V halogen bulbs. To save electricity, I wish to replace them with LED bulbs. Most of the LED 110V bulbs are 3W or 5W only. How's these 3W or 5W LED compare with the 50W halogen bulb on brightness? Some LED bulbs say they has 30xLED, some with 48xLED, but all says they only 3W or 5W. What's the different? Hope someone can tell me all these. I don't have much knowledge on electricity. Thanks.

ccpyue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
Electrical Supplier

LED light bulbs

to find the respective incandescent or halogen light output of a LED, multiply the wattage by 6.......Flourescents are 4x

The problem with halogens is that they are a bit more intense than their equivalent wattage standard incandescents.....I would say that you would want about a 10w LED or more to get the equivalent light output....The problem you will run into is that you need a "PAR" lamp which is basically an encapsulated reflector, so therefore you need an OUTDOOR rated LED....those puppies are a bit expensive.....

Your AHJ/Inspectors ALWAYS have the final say on ANY electrical code issue.
If in doubt, contact a licensed, experienced, reputable electrician to perform the work.
LyonsElecSupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

LED light bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpyue View Post
My house has some outdoor lights installed using GU10 50W 110V halogen bulbs. To save electricity, I wish to replace them with LED bulbs. Most of the LED 110V bulbs are 3W or 5W only. How's these 3W or 5W LED compare with the 50W halogen bulb on brightness? Some LED bulbs say they has 30xLED, some with 48xLED, but all says they only 3W or 5W. What's the different? Hope someone can tell me all these. I don't have much knowledge on electricity. Thanks.
Ayuh,... I just put an led spotlight on the back of the house,...
It's beside a halogen...
The led is brighter, 'n whiter than the 1 next to it...

Don't remember the wattage, but remember thinkin' it didn't look like much of a spotlight....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #4

LED light bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
It's beside a halogen...

Don't remember the wattage, but remember thinkin' it didn't look like much of a spotlight....

Can you tell me where you buy the LED light bulb? and how much is it?
Old 02-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

LED light bulbs

Ayuh,... It was about $15.bucks at Sam's Club...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #6

LED light bulbs

you need approx 6W led (6 x 1w or 3 x 2W) avoid 30 48 mini led on a lamp, those are not made for lighting and are a lot less bright that 1w or 2w leds

i have some 4w units at my house and they equal approx 35w gu10 lamp
carmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #7

LED light bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpyue View Post
Can you tell me where you buy the LED light bulb? and how much is it?
I bought the LED SMD bulbs from ebay. It costs in the range of $4- to $15 depend on the watt and number of LED SMD on the bulbs.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

LED light bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
It's beside a halogen...

Leah noted that they do not attract bugs.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
Retired from the grind

LED light bulbs

ddawg16, and the bad thing is, there has not been anything posted recently in the auto forum regarding rad's.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
JOATMON

LED light bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
ddawg16, and the bad thing is, there has not been anything posted recently in the auto forum regarding rad's.
Post is gone now....so I guess the problem is solved.....if there had been an embedded link...then spam.....we see that a lot over on another forum....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyonsElecSupply View Post
to find the respective incandescent or halogen light output of a LED, multiply the wattage by 6.......Flourescents are 4x

The problem with halogens is that they are a bit more intense than their equivalent wattage standard incandescents.....I would say that you would want about a 10w LED or more to get the equivalent light output....The problem you will run into is that you need a "PAR" lamp which is basically an encapsulated reflector, so therefore you need an OUTDOOR rated LED....those puppies are a bit expensive.....
I don't want to create a long thread on that aspect....but lighting is sort of a hobby of mine and I have to disagree in general with those numbers.

On average (let me stress average), LED's are about par with CFL's...if you start comparing LED lights with a T5 or T8 bulb....LED's lag quite a bit.

With that said....it's important to distinguish one inportant aspect of LED vs CFL or halogen....the LED tends to send most of it's light straight out to the top......whereas you get more even lighting from an incandescent of CFL. In other words, looking straight on at an LED vs CFL or incandescent, the LED will look brighter.

So, in a recessed can where the light is directed down....LED's are a great solution if you can get then cheap enough....they do have the advantage of being dimmable using traditional dimmers.

I find it funny that the initial 100K hour claims have quickly changed to 25K hours......about the life of 3 CFL's......at 5x the cost.

LED's are making progress.....I'm still not sure that they are the holly grail of lighting....I think that is still waiting to be invented.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Oso954 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #11

LED light bulbs

LED Lights changed the trend of bulbs. It has a big market share because of it's efficiency and low power consumption. I personally prefer LED Lights on T5 or T8 in my own home.
David S. Cofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:10 PM   #12

LED light bulbs

With lighting technology advancing so much these days people need to quit looking for bulbs of a certain wattage. People need to start talking in terms of lumens when they are looking for lighting equipment. Actually, they also need to start talking about the temperature of the lighting, temperature refers to the color of the light. 2700k is basically what was considered soft white and 6000k is what was considered bright white. Of course there are other temperature colors in between. If people start thinking about lighting in these terms it's much easier to transition from Incandescent to Halogen to CFL to LED or whatever!

Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Msradell For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (03-11-2014)