LED Dimmers Each Require A Dedicated Neutral? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2014, 12:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

LED Dimmers each require a dedicated neutral?

Hi Folks I need a little help. I'm redoing my kitchen and have one circuit breaker that feeds a daisy chain of 4 Lutron CF/LED Maestro & Diva dimmers - each dimmer controls a few LEDs Lights. Two of those dimmers also have a three way working with them. I've been having some weird flashing going on in which dimming one group of lights can cause another on a seperate dimmer to flash. I even have one set of halogens that can flash as well. Changes bulbs around to keep the same type on one dimmer has helped, but I can still have random flashing. I've changed out the dimmers as well - same thing. I've spoken to Lutron and the LED lights from Homedepot I'm using (Comercial Electric T41 Gimbles) are not on the Lutron approved bulb list. Since they are about $45 a piece and have had them for some time, I'd rather not return them . Lutron support has a recomendation to run a dedicated neutral to each dimmer and take apart the common neutral they all share between them. Since my walls are all open, I guess I'm going to have to do this, but I wonder does the neutral have to be in an insulated jacket, as it is in Romex? Any ideas on how to go about this in a code compliant way would be greatly appeciated.
Thx, John

Advertisement

johnsmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Yes under the current NEC. 2012 to be more specific. You are getting the flashing, due to the dimmers, along with the bulbs. LED's like CFL's are very finicky on Dimmers. Even if the dimmer is labeled that it is fine with either of those two bulbs.

I would talk to Lutron about it. Their engineers are really good in getting in touch with you regarding this stuff. When you send an email, or call to speak to one.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your reply. I will run a seperate neutral to each dimmer but how do i do that? Do i have to get a spool of 14 gauge white wire (15 amp breaker) and fun that or do i need it a more protective shielding? Could i run romex and use the black as well as long as i label it? I suppose the ground in the romex coukd not be used? I have 4 runs to make. I appreciate your help.
johnsmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmo View Post
Thanks for your reply. I will run a seperate neutral to each dimmer but how do i do that?
good question.

The neutral is run with the ungrounded circuit conductor. So are you suggesting multiple neutrals to that one location?

Interesting.

If that run was in a conduit, that might be doable.
ritelec is offline   Reply With Quote