Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #1

Share |

LED Bulbs & Info

i just bought a few led bulbs. i love them. don't use much power but put out a reasonable amount of light.. i couldn't stand the light that cfl's produce. led's are pricey but worth it in terms of enjoyable light.

my apt is about 40% led bulb 40% incandescent bulb and 20% led ambient lighting.

Mrnagrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #2

LED Bulbs & Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrnagrom View Post
i just bought a few led bulbs. i love them. don't use much power but put out a reasonable amount of light.. i couldn't stand the light that cfl's produce. led's are pricey but worth it in terms of enjoyable light.

my apt is about 40% led bulb 40% incandescent bulb and 20% led ambient lighting.
I've never seen an LED in use as a traditional light bulb. Don't LED's produce directional light as opposed to the indirectional light from CFLs and incandescents?

richardballast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #3

LED Bulbs & Info

LED's are directional to a degree
If you have looked at a new LED TV you will see that you can view it from an angle

LED lights do spread their output to a certain degree based on their Mfg
Just an example:

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

LED Bulbs & Info

LEDs are now combined in all sorts of arrays to replace just about any sort of bulb, including long florescent tubes (they let you get rid of the ballasts too). Brightness and cost are still the major issues though. Some do come with warranties of five years or longer though. They come in different colors of white light and in decorator colors and blacklight for special applications. They contain no environmental hazards like mercury.

For those who have to change exit light bulbs on regular basis, LED replacement bulbs or fixtures themselves are great and well worth the money. I have not tried the long tubes anywhere yet.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/MR16_specs.htm

http://www.ledliquidatorsinc.com/led...FRnyDAodnlgwtQ

Last edited by user1007; 10-19-2009 at 07:07 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #5

LED Bulbs & Info

I bought an LED flashlight last year and that thing is SUPER bright. 4 or 5 of those bulbs in an array would put out plenty of light. But it still seems to me like the light would be too directional. I guess I would just have to see it in action.

And certainly the cost is a major factor.
richardballast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Prince George, BC

LED Bulbs & Info

FYI, I saw the new Sylvania LED bulbs ( http://yahoo.shoptoit.ca/shop/produc...d_9149222.html ) at Canadian Tire yesterday. 8 watts of power to these is equal to a 40watt incandescent, and they put out a 3000k colour (that's a warm white). Only problem is... they're 50 bucks!
MisterPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Prince George, BC

LED Bulbs & Info

PS - I'm not sure whether or not the LEDs are dimmable... I couldn't find any info on that.
MisterPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #8

LED Bulbs & Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterPG View Post
PS - I'm not sure whether or not the LEDs are dimmable... I couldn't find any info on that.
Half the current, approx. half the brightness. Perceived brightness is another issue.

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote