DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

learning purposes: 3-way switching

4K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  frenchelectrican 
#1 ·
I don't remember where I found the image, but the first one shows routing of the wires without connections at the light. The second is my attempt to make those connections (in blue); is it correct? Visualizing 3-way switches is a thorn in my side.

See less See more
#2 ·
Let me help vous on this one .,

If I did read this one correct that you have a dead end three way switch loop if so .,

The white conductors from the luminaire and from the first switch box will be wirenutted together on this part.

Now hook the black conductor from the luminaire junction box { power source only or unswitched power source } to the switch box.

Leave the red one alone for a moment you will see the result in a minuite.,

At the first switch box the three conductor from the luminaire location wirecap the white conductor that is a legit netural which you may have to use it { it will be required per 2011 NEC code anyway } but the white conductor from switch box to the other switch box it have to be REMARKED this is very important SVP., ( tape or marker any colour beside not white or grey or green they are off limit colour to remarked }

anyway take the black conductor from the luminaire conductor that will go on the " Common " or dark coloured screw while the red one from the luminaire cable to tie up to the other three way cable { switch to switch only } red cable as well wirenutted and set it back in the box.

Now take the remarked white and the black { from the switch to the switch } use them on light colour brass screws that is shuttle or traveller conductors { a tip twist them few turns so you know this is for three way traveller } then do the same thing with other three way switch the remarked white and black on the light brass coloured screw then finally take the red one to the " common " and ya are done with it.

Keep in your mind there will be no netural in second switch box at all with cable { if this in conduit or 4 conductor cable then it will be not a issue }

Hope that help ya.

Merci,
Marc

Reactions: sirsparksalot
#10 · (Edited)
Some info for 3-way switching...

White from the source goes directly to the load.

Black from the source goes to the common terminal of one of the 3 way switches.

Black of the load goes to the common terminal of the other 3 way switch.

The travelers get hooked to the remaining terminals.

If you have to use a white as 'hot', it has to feed a switch and be re-identified at both ends. I usually use a black "Sharpie" marker.

Use 14 gauge wire on a 15 amp circuit, 12 ga on a 20 amp circuit.

I found that if you want the lights to be off when both switches are down (or both up), you reverse the travelers. I made my own rule of thumb, and call it "Red on Right". If I'm using cable and both 3-way switches are identical, I put the red traveler on the right side of the first 3-way switch, and then on the left of the second switch. Mount them both using the same orientation.

#16 · (Edited)
On the last drawing Oui, you got it.

That how it supposed to do it in correct way.

Merci,
Marc

Noté: however I have to fix my monitor somehow I did not see the colour marking so therefore the remarked white should be on black supply.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.