Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2007, 12:36 AM   #1

Share |
Question

leading a 3- out of a 2-wire cable

this is what i did - it works but was wondering if there are safety issues:

i lead a 3- out of a 2-wire cable in a junction box to supply power to a circuit end consisting of two recess lightes and an outlet.

i simply connected both the black and the red wire to the black feeder wire ? is this an okay practice or is it a safety hazard ?

thanks,

- a

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:35 AM   #2

What did you connect the black and red wires to on the other end?....what is the white connected to on both ends?

send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:43 AM   #3

If you have multiple appliances to supply at the end of your run, you should just use 2-wire throughout, and pigtail all the hot terminals on the lights/receptacles to the black wire. No need to have seperate red and black conductors going to these boxes.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:26 AM   #4

sounds like you are saying that you have a two wire feeder, and you are using a three wire cable to feed switched lights, and unswitched recepticles.

If I am correct, you did it the right way.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #5

Exclamation

thanks everyone !

the white is connected to white on the feeding end.

on the feeding end, both red and black are connected to the black feeder. that was the basis of my concern.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

What you did is ok as far as safety, but was pointless as far as practicality. Why not just cap off the red and save it as a spare. Now you have another hot wire to worry about.

What is on the branch circuit you tapped off from? This is an important question.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #7

the reason i used 14/3 was because the circuit further on consisted of two recess lights and an outlet, which always needed to be hot. each recess light has its own switch.

i do not know what is on the circuit before because the armored cable is actually coming from upstairs but it is very old (no grounding wire and cloth insulated ). i may just cap it off and replace the source (feeder as i used to call it - what should i call it ?) because this old-timer looks too sketchy ...

thanks for all your feedback.

- a
Old 05-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
this is what i did - it works but was wondering if there are safety issues:

i lead a 3- out of a 2-wire cable in a junction box to supply power to a circuit end consisting of two recess lightes and an outlet.

i simply connected both the black and the red wire to the black feeder wire ? is this an okay practice or is it a safety hazard ?

thanks,

- a
Try that again.
What was there before? What did you change? What did add? What are you trying to accomplish?
I could not decipher anything about what you are attempting to do from your original post.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
the reason i used 14/3 was because the circuit further on consisted of two recess lights and an outlet, which always needed to be hot. each recess light has its own switch.

i do not know what is on the circuit before because the armored cable is actually coming from upstairs but it is very old (no grounding wire and cloth insulated ). i may just cap it off and replace the source (feeder as i used to call it - what should i call it ?) because this old-timer looks too sketchy ...
You say you connected both red and black to the black feed coming in. This could have been accomplished with one wire. I understand your wanting to have a switched light and constant receptacle but that does not seem to be the way you wired it.

REGARDLESS of all this, you do need to run a circuit or find a newer grounded feed for this. Unless you can confirm that the old wire is AC cable with the thin bonding strip, which I can almost guarantee it is not, you CANNOT use it for a source. This is an ungrounded circuit and we cannot extend ungrounded circuits for new loads.