Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #1

Share |

LB fitting and splice

Hey DIYers,

Long time lurker, first post. Hope this wasn't answered somewhere else...I couldn't find it in search.

Background: Built a detached shed/shop. Currently wiring it up inside. It's 100' from the main panel in garage. My plan is to run 6/3 w/g Romex from main panel in the garage, up the wall, through the attic then transition to 6/3 THWN and PVC conduit for the underground run (approx 20 feet) to the shop. Total run is 100 feet. Haven't purchased the cable yet.

I already have a square D homeline with 100A breaker panel hanging in the shop. Plan is to put a 60A 120/240 double in the main panel to feed this. Had to buy a separate ground bus which is installed and isolated. Also have the 8 foot rods for ground.

Ok for the question: I am stuck on how to get the splice done. Would like to run the Romex down the house wall and then put a large LB fitting on the outside of the house to make the splice clean. The way I read the code this is allowed as long as the fitting has a capacity printed on it. I think the fitting I saw at HD said 31 CU ". Am I reading the code correctly? Is there a better way to make this transition from Romex to THWN? Can Romex run through a wall to this fitting that will be on the outside of the house? Also although I think I could use wirenuts, is there a more secure way to make the splice without dealing with split bolts? Any insight appreciated.

Lots of questions

Thanks.

Chip

bullhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

LB fitting and splice

You can use a box instead of the LB.
When you say down the wall of the house, are you talking about the outside or inside?
Wirenuts work, or look for some polaris taps, costly but easy.

31 cu is not big enough for #6
Each conductor is 5 cu inches, so you need a 35 cu inches.

Last edited by jbfan; 01-18-2012 at 02:16 PM.
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #3

LB fitting and splice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
You can use a box instead of the LB.
When you say down the wall of the house, are you talking about the outside or inside?
Wirenuts work, or look for some polaris taps, costly but easy.

31 cu is not big enough for #6
Each conductor is 5 cu inches, so you need a 35 cu inches.
Thanks for the reply JBFAN. Sorry sloppy wording... From the attic through the top plate run inside the wall with the romex to punch out through the wall to the outside a few feet above grade to the box. Having trouble finding a big box with the right number of openings. If I use a box can I run the romex cable through the center of the box then splice then 90deg down to the PVC? Trying to do this as clean as possible.

Looked up the polaris connectors. 3 X IT-4's would be perfect. These look really great. I guess since they are connectors they don't count toward box fill? So if my math is right 6 conductors plus the ground plus the clamps would be 40 CU inches of volume.

EDIT: adding a question: The Polaris connectors are aluminum. Is this an issue with copper wire? Thanks.

Chip

Last edited by bullhome; 01-18-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: add info
bullhome is offline   Reply With Quote