Laundry Room And Bath Question - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 154

Laundry room and bath question

We are getting ready to start our winter project. This is going to entail modifying 3 rooms of the house.

As it is configured now, in the basement we have a bedroom with a closet and adjacent bath. The bedroom is going to become my office and all we are really doing there is replacing the floor, so no electrical ? there.

The closet is decent sized and is going to become the laundry room. This closet is current sharing a circuit with the bathroom. In this closet is another small closet that houses a continuous hot water heater on its own dedicated circuit.

So I know the bathroom is supposed to be on its own circuit and it will be when I remove the loads in the current closet.

And I know the laundry room must have its own dedicated circuit. So my questions are:

1. Can I use the dedicated circuit powering the continuous hot water heater as my laundry room circuit. This is a 20amp circuit that will be in the laundry room and power only devices within the laundry room. (It may not be to code, but I am not messing with the lights (2x T12 48" tubes) which are fed from the bathroom circuit).

2. Is a 30A dryer circuit required? Our dryer is gas and any future dryer will be gas, so as long as we own the house, the dryer will be gas.

3. The bathroom is going to get a lot smaller. It is currently a walk-though bath to get out to the pool. We are going to wall off the area where the tub and toilet are and add a vanity. This will allow guests to come in from the pool without going through the bath. This new "hall" area is currently fed by the bathroom circuit. It will have a light and a couple of receptacles although I can think of no reason they would ever be used. Do I need a new circuit for this area?

I can draw a floor plan if this would help.

Thanks.

Advertisement

herdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,206

Install new 20 amp recep for washer and dryer(gas). Install new 20amp circuit for bath recep. Leave existing circuitry as is.

Advertisement

brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,796

You cannot share the circuit the tankless is using. Follow brrics advice.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan View Post
We are getting ready to start our winter project. This is going to entail modifying 3 rooms of the house.

As it is configured now, in the basement we have a bedroom with a closet and adjacent bath. The bedroom is going to become my office and all we are really doing there is replacing the floor, so no electrical ? there.

The closet is decent sized and is going to become the laundry room. This closet is current sharing a circuit with the bathroom. In this closet is another small closet that houses a continuous hot water heater on its own dedicated circuit.

So I know the bathroom is supposed to be on its own circuit and it will be when I remove the loads in the current closet.

And I know the laundry room must have its own dedicated circuit. So my questions are:

1. Can I use the dedicated circuit powering the continuous hot water heater as my laundry room circuit. This is a 20amp circuit that will be in the laundry room and power only devices within the laundry room. (It may not be to code, but I am not messing with the lights (2x T12 48" tubes) which are fed from the bathroom circuit).
NO

2. Is a 30A dryer circuit required? Our dryer is gas and any future dryer will be gas, so as long as we own the house, the dryer will be gas.
NO
3. The bathroom is going to get a lot smaller. It is currently a walk-though bath to get out to the pool. We are going to wall off the area where the tub and toilet are and add a vanity. This will allow guests to come in from the pool without going through the bath. This new "hall" area is currently fed by the bathroom circuit. It will have a light and a couple of receptacles although I can think of no reason they would ever be used. Do I need a new circuit for this area?

I can draw a floor plan if this would help.

Thanks.

# 3

you have 2 choices for a bath ... bathroom outlets can be shared with other bath outlets ONLY

or

1 circuit that powers everything in 1 bathroom >>ie. lights, fan and outlet