Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
Low Voltage Fun

Rewards Points: 10

Lath & Plaster Wall Box/bracket

I need to add a RG6 F-connector wall plate to a 1930's lath & plaster wall, but can only find the Carlon single gange old work bracket used on newer types of construction.

Is this the best piece to use given the type of construction?

Thanks!

winesmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

They make add-on electrical boxes where you cut the hole in the wall, then push the new box into the hole, then turn the screws and little bars flip out in the wall and secure the box to the wall from behind as you tighten the screws. Below is a picture of one type.

The hard part about this is cutting a hole in the lath and plaster without making a big mess. The lath tends to wobble back and forth as you are trying to saw it. Maybe you could get lucky with a sawsall?

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:49 AM   #3
Low Voltage Fun

Yes thank you, but I can't find those boxes - just the orange bracket.

I also have heard it's best to you a router to cut through the lath to prevent that vibration.

Your thoughts?
Old 12-03-2008, 01:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 506
Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Quote:
Originally Posted by winesmile View Post
Yes thank you, but I can't find those boxes - just the orange bracket.

I also have heard it's best to you a router to cut through the lath to prevent that vibration.

Your thoughts?
Actually you use a jigsaw and NEVER cut all the way through on either side! Cut partway on one side, then go to the other side and cut it part way, and back and forth (prob 3 or 4 cuts maybe 5 total). If you cut through the lath all the way on one side, you will have issues with you cut through the lath on the other side!

A reciprocating saw is probably your best solution, a sawsall would probably do the trick just as well as the jigsaw, just be sure to use a small enough saw blade so as to be able to put the shoe of the sawsall up against the wall.

Whats wrong with the orange brackets? All you need is a Low Voltage bracket for a coax jack. These can come in different styles and types for different applications. Hell you could really just drill a hole for the cable and then use wood screws to attach the wall plate directly to the lath and just not worry about a box or cutting a big hole in the wall.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,472

Got to disagree about the reciprocating and jigsaw. Too much tendency to shake any loose plaster off the wall. I use a Rotozip and make 2 cuts if wood lath. Once thru the plaster with a carbide blade and the second with a wood blade through the lath.
Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #6
Low Voltage Fun

Thanks for the suggestions and you're right nothing wrong with the orange bracket or grommet for the RG6 hole.... I'll go that way.

I've read the RotoZip is the way to go due to the vibration and possible plaster damage.

What type bit would you recommend to cut through the lath?

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

What f-connectors are you using? crimp? compression?
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #8

Has anyone ever used the program "Get Wired" by the company "Books that Work"? The reason I ask this, I used to "play" around in this program when I was a kid, just making complex ciruits and messing around; I was having fun with it. I was creating my own circuit designs for things I needed or wanted to do that most homeowners would have a hard time understanding, much less actually doing.

It also had a ton of tutorial stuff, videos, etc, shows how a lighting strike works and what benefit the lightning rod provides. One of the video's was doing work in an "old house" with the lath and it showed exactly how to do it and how not to do it (with the visual of what happens when you do it wrong). I don't care how you choose to cut your hole, but when I have done work with Lath I did exactly as they showed it in the video (remembering back to when I was just playing around with the program) and the cut out hole was perfect, no damaged plaster.

Sadly the disks for that program install are bad and no longer work, and all the files on the disk are in a propreitary format so I can't just extract it and post it up on here. Maybe I'll see if I can find it on the web sometime.

Personally, if your just installing one coax jack and are worried about damaging the plaster, just drill a 1/2" hole where you'd like the center of the jack to be, run your cable through, attach it to the wall plate and then screw the wall plate in with wood screws right through the plaster. Its Low Voltage so no box is required; though you may need the larger hole just to be able to fish the wire. If it was anything more than just a single jack id use a low voltage bracket.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:43 PM   #9

There are ways to get the files off those disks you have of "Get Wired". I'm kind of curious about the program.

Most likely (if they're floppies) they're just an alternate format utilizing a compression scheme that does make copying them more complex than sinply copy/paste.

If they're cd's, a program like ISOBUSTER (www.smart-projects.net) can usually create an ISO image of the disc, then you can extract the files from the ISO.

If you need a hand, let me know. I'd like to check out this program!
dback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:49 AM   #10
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by winesmile View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and you're right nothing wrong with the orange bracket or grommet for the RG6 hole.... I'll go that way.

I've read the RotoZip is the way to go due to the vibration and possible plaster damage.

What type bit would you recommend to cut through the lath?

Thanks.
They make one for plaster, says plaster right on the package for the bit.
Get some durrabond.
Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dback View Post
There are ways to get the files off those disks you have of "Get Wired". I'm kind of curious about the program.

Most likely (if they're floppies) they're just an alternate format utilizing a compression scheme that does make copying them more complex than sinply copy/paste.

If they're cd's, a program like ISOBUSTER (www.smart-projects.net) can usually create an ISO image of the disc, then you can extract the files from the ISO.

If you need a hand, let me know. I'd like to check out this program!
Its a set of 3 floppy disks, I've tried a bunch of different ways to get the files off the disks to get the program installed again but Ive had no luck. I have even tried using win image to make a copy of the disk and even that didn't work.