Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Last ditch effort basement watchdog pump/jumper cables running car

Guys, I've just been hypothetically pondering this scenerio, ( concerning hurricane sandy )

Since they are calling for power to be out for 7-10 days in some spots, I've been concerned about my basement flooding for long power outages.

My current setup is the Basement watchdog , BW4000 - 1/2hp pump with backup pump & battery - Who knows how long the battery would last with heavy pump use.. I'll assume no more than 12-20 hours.

So if the battery winds up running itself dry I have a water powered sump pump that will run off city water ( for every 1 gallon of city water through the pump, it pulls out 2 gallons of sump pit water )

I also have a little 800watt generator I could crack open, but only a few gallons of 2 stroke gas.

BUT!

I was wondering, just to take some of the strain off the water powered pump if need be if I run jumper cables from a ( running car ) battery to the top of the basement watchdog battery terminals, I assume it would trickle charge the battery and run the 12volt pump. It works in my head, but was just curious to see what others thought.

only specs I could find for the 12volt pump is a " battery recharger " amps of 1.6amps

Logic is never logical you know?

alecmcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Have you ever had a problem with flooding in the past, when you have lost power? All you can do is prepare for the worst, and have a backup plan ready. Disregard the 7-10 rule that the media is issuing. There will be no way of telling the length until it happens.

Best bet is to have a backup Deep cycle battery, so that you can swap it out with the one down there. Also make sure the genset is up to par, but do not use it until you have to. Refrigerators will hold cold up to 10 to 12 hours, and you really do not need the home theater during a disaster if it happens.

Remember, going back to the basics before we became the stupid society that we now are in the 21st century, of believing everything the media puts out, and over thinking ever little incident. People survived in the past without all of this technology, and used their heads when it came down to it, to get the job done.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Have you ever had a problem with flooding in the past, when you have lost power? All you can do is prepare for the worst, and have a backup plan ready. Disregard the 7-10 rule that the media is issuing. There will be no way of telling the length until it happens.

Best bet is to have a backup Deep cycle battery, so that you can swap it out with the one down there. Also make sure the genset is up to par, but do not use it until you have to. Refrigerators will hold cold up to 10 to 12 hours, and you really do not need the home theater during a disaster if it happens.

Remember, going back to the basics before we became the stupid society that we now are in the 21st century, of believing everything the media puts out, and over thinking ever little incident. People survived in the past without all of this technology, and used their heads when it came down to it, to get the job done.
I appreciate the input, but going out to by anything at this point is pointless, mass hysteria at all the stores - what I have on hand is it.

I did have a problem in the past before I had the backup battery sump pump ( had just a standard 120v sump pump ) power went out, pump no work - basement flooded.

Like I said, i've since upgraded to the basement watchdog battery backup pump, and a city water powered pump, Im just curious to see if my above scenario would work in a bad spot.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

You should always be prepared, not wait for the last minute. As for the mass hysteria, again caused by the media outlets. As for the battery backup system, again you need to have a second battery to swap out while the other is charging, and as for city water, that system only works if the city potable water pumps are running.

Going old school and having a bucket brigade will only work if there is not water coming into the basement. Best thing is to get your plan in order, get that second battery, and get the valuable stuff out of the basement or up above the highest level.

Only way to know how bad it will be, is if you have gone through this before, and going by hearsay of the media and guessing what may or may not happen, is not going to do anything for you.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 80

The jumper cables from the car will charge the battery. It will be more than a trickle charge.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #6

My question is similar so I did not start a new topic. My sister has a battery backup sump pump and because the outage is expected to be long I advised her to buy a second battery which she was able to find. I had planned to use jumper cables to attach the second battery to the first one before the storm but the store said to only swap out the second battery after the first one ran down. Can I do it my way? That way I can get over before the storm. Probably can't get there during and she does not know how to do it.
zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

No, because it will kill both, and could cause a short circuit if not done correctly, or even worse, send higher voltage & amps to the pump and burn it out.

You can use Quick connects, that are basically cables connected to the batteries, with a male/female plug for disconnecting, so that it is a quick unplug and plug.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zircon View Post
My question is similar so I did not start a new topic. My sister has a battery backup sump pump and because the outage is expected to be long I advised her to buy a second battery which she was able to find. I had planned to use jumper cables to attach the second battery to the first one before the storm but the store said to only swap out the second battery after the first one ran down. Can I do it my way? That way I can get over before the storm. Probably can't get there during and she does not know how to do it.

If you have a second battery just run them in parallel and double your " battery time "
Old 10-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 36

When you connect a new battery to an older one, you tend to lose some power. For max performance, keep them separated, then swap them out when the first battery runs low.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #10

Either way will work. With them connected in parallel you will get double the run time. By swapping them out you can take the dead one and jumper cable it your car and recharge it while the second one is pumping water.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
bbo

any reason you can't mix your own 2 cycle gas?

I'd also use the genset to recharge the dead swapped battery ( with a battery charger) before running the car to recharge it.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bbo For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #12

IF you have a genset then just run the pump from that.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 4

1. Get a couple of diesel trucks with dual batteries and hook them all up to your sump pump.

2. Plug your windmill into your system.

3. Put your wife on a treadmill, connected to your grid, and stand behind her with a whip. Or better yet, hook up a cattle prod to your grid and shock her with that. Don't let her know everything is inter-connected, however, or you could have a mutiny on your hands.

I think this mutiny is what the media is worried about.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 16

What is 2 cycle gas?

You could keep your car running with jumper cables hooked up to the sump pump, but I suspect that your little 800 watt generator will get more hours of sump pump operation per gallon than your car.