Landscape Wiring Config - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Landscape wiring config

I am wiring the backyard, sunk 12 gauge 4 wire in PVC throughout and setup three double ganged insulated all weather outlet boxes where I am wiring one of the outlets to be switched the other always on.

I want to install GFCI switches but need a recommendation on the configuration. I know I cannot share a ground so I cannot split the switched/on between 2 leading GFCI outlets. I am not sure whether I need to go with all GFCI or not although that would work.

Sent from my iPad using DIY Forum

Advertisement

MikeInDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,022

Landscape wiring config

SUggest you repost this or have moderator move to electrical forum.

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 766

Landscape wiring config

Since this is outside it will have to have GFCI on everything. Why not just put a GFCI breaker on the circuit? That would allow you to share the ground and neutral through the rest of the circuit. What kind of wire did you put in the conduit?
Msradell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #4

Landscape wiring config

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell
Since this is outside it will have to have GFCI on everything. Why not just put a GFCI breaker on the circuit? That would allow you to share the ground and neutral through the rest of the circuit. What kind of wire did you put in the conduit?
Well I didn't want to have to run into the house to reset the circuit breaker every time it flipped so I didn't use a GFCI circuit breaker. As for wiring I started with outside wiring that can be buried direct and then buried PVC through the entire run from house to boxes for extra security and to ensure in was within code. Note that 4-wire 12-gauge outside wire is thick requires force when bending and you need extra width in the PVC if you want to make 90 degree turns.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #5

Landscape wiring config

If a GFCI device trips you have a problem, they should rarely if ever trip for resetting the breaker should be a problem if everything is installed correctly. Based on your 4 wire installation (assuming one of them is ground) I don't see any other easy way to provide protection for the entire system.

Some local codes do not allow the use of direct buried cable inside of conduit, you may want to check your local codes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Msradell For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (11-06-2011)
Old 11-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #6

Landscape wiring config

Quote:
If a GFCI device trips you have a problem, they should rarely if ever trip for resetting the breaker should be a problem if everything is installed correctly. Based on your 4 wire installation (assuming one of them is ground) I don't see any other easy way to provide protection for the entire system.

Some local codes do not allow the use of direct buried cable inside of conduit, you may want to check your local codes.
Whoa! That would be unfortunate. Not allowing Uf inside PVC? I did not see that coming. Do you know why?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Landscape wiring config

I don't think UF in conduit is an issue if you meet the conduit fill requirements.

You can use a GFCI outlet (inside or outside) on this circuit to protect it instead of a breaker. Much cheaper, and you get an outlet out of it.

Did you use white plumbing pvc or gray electrical conduit? What size?

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #8

Landscape wiring config

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
I don't think UF in conduit is an issue if you meet the conduit fill requirements.
That's the main reason most areas cite although some areas don't even allow UF cable instead require type TW. Besides pulling the cable into conduit is very difficult.
Quote:
You can use a GFCI outlet (inside or outside) on this circuit to protect it instead of a breaker. Much cheaper, and you get an outlet out of it.
This is certainly a cheaper option but based on his previous criteria of having some outlets switched in some not switched the breaker is probably a better and safer option. If his four wires include a ground there's no other way to have it operate how he wants to using GFCI outlets.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:19 AM   #9

Landscape wiring config

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu

Did you use white plumbing pvc or gray electrical conduit? What size?
Gray 1 1/4 for runs, larger 1 1/2 for T 's and leading to the middle boxes where I had to run up and down (well I could have put in a junction box but I didn't ). I used adaptors when mixing sizes.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:22 AM   #10

Landscape wiring config

Quote:
That's the main reason most areas cite although some areas don't even allow UF cable instead require type TW. Besides pulling the cable into conduit is very difficult.

This is certainly a cheaper option but based on his previous criteria of having some outlets switched in some not switched the breaker is probably a better and safer option. If his four wires include a ground there's no other way to have it operate how he wants to using GFCI outlets.
Yes it was a bugger even when I went with wider PVC to accommodate. Note to self. Don't twist the wire because untwisting is a chore.

I was thinking of all GFCI isolated and just call it a day. Expensive but I don't have to run into the house to reset.

Advertisement