Landscape Lights Wiring Plan - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

landscape lights wiring plan

Hi folks. Sorry if these questions are pretty silly but I am doing this for the first time.
So I am doing a low voltage landscape lighting set up. Got 12 guage wire. 200 watt power pack. Very simple set up along two sides of a finished walkway (gravel/flag with an edger) in my backyard.

Left side:
4 deck lights (7w each); closest to the box. first is really within 5 feet but I read the 1st should be no closer than 10 ft, so can double back I guess if I need to respect that 10 foot rule per the instructions on box
1 walkway light (10w)
1 spot (35w) near a water feature
1 well light (35 w) to backlit a firepit seating area. Well light is furthest out. About 70 ft out from the box
Right side:

2 walkway lights (10w); first is 15 ft from box. second is 45
1 well light. furthest out; at firepit. right at 75-80 ft which I know is about the extent you can go w/o voltage drop on a 200W box. may have to go with 10 gauge wire to compensate?
Since its running on both sides of a walkway back to a firepit; I think the T style makes sense. my question is, the power pack can only take one wire in to the terminals....so I assume I run one wire in of course, out a couple feet and then branch off ("tee it"). I suppose I could even do the first 4 deck lights (total 28W) before the T? or do you want to T as soon as possible?
If I do get 10 gauge wire for that longer run, does it play nice with the 12 gauge off the other side of the T? and to the individual lights? or do I need to upgrade it all (both sides of the T)?
open to suggestions. thanks,
THB

Advertisement

tarheelblue is offline   Reply With Quote