Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #1

Share |

Lamppost bulb

I have a high pressure sodium light bulb in my lamppost. It turns on and off nonstop. Does this mean its time to replace it?

dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Lamppost bulb

a lot of the time, yes, it is the lamp BUT no promises. I would start with a lamp. If it still cycles, just put new guts in it and be done with it. It generally isn't worth the expense to play with piece by piece troubleshooting and replacement.

but before you do that; is there a photocell involved? If so, start with either checking the output of the photocell when it has cycled out or bypass the PC and make sure it isn't in the throws of death itself. PC's don't usually cycle but I don't write off much of anything.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #3

Lamppost bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap
a lot of the time, yes, it is the lamp BUT no promises. I would start with a lamp. If it still cycles, just put new guts in it and be done with it. It generally isn't worth the expense to play with piece by piece troubleshooting and replacement.

but before you do that; is there a photocell involved? If so, start with either checking the output of the photocell when it has cycled out or bypass the PC and make sure it isn't in the throws of death itself. PC's don't usually cycle but I don't write off much of anything.
There's a sensor.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #4

Lamppost bulb

Cover up the electric eye (photocontrol) to be sure the light from the lamp is not somehow reflecting into the electric eye and making the lamp turn off.

Many electric eyes do not work instantly. That is, wait a few minutes after covering it up for the light to go on; wait a few minutes while shining a flashlight into it continuously for the light to turn off.

Otherwise cycling on and off, actually called 'cycling', is a sign that the high pressure sodium lamp is at the end of its life. Replace it promptly to avoid damage to the ballast.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-24-2011 at 08:58 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Lamppost bulb

First thing with the HPS { high pressure soduim } bulbs their end of life is cycling { on and off } so replace with correct bulb size that useally take care in most case.

Second take a quick peek with the photocell sensor to make sure it is not getting the lights from the bulb { you may have to add a extendison tube or move it diffrent location }

But never use Motion sensor with any HID luminiare they are hard on them plus it will take too much time to get it warm up and shut off { you need X number of minutes to cool off before it can relit }

Allan., The HPS ballast can withstand pretty good cycling however the starter that diffrent story it can fritzed up pretty fast if not replace the bulb asap.

Merci.
Marc
Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #6

Lamppost bulb

ok....replaced w/ a high pressure sodium bulb. The light turns on and stays on longer, but it shuts off and cycles back on still.....ballast needs to get replaced or sensor?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

Lamppost bulb

Then try to replace the photocell sensor to see if that clear up the issue.

Merci.
Marc
Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #8

Lamppost bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post

Merci.
Marc
Why wouldn't it be the ballast?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #9

Lamppost bulb

Quote:

Merci.
Marc
After dark the light turns on....then it seems to turn off again 1 time....then it stays on.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Lamppost bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur1 View Post
Why wouldn't it be the ballast?
Most of the resdentail HPS luminaire the ballast will be useally a last thing to go out in normal situation so just try the photocell first then you will know you have bad ballast {this is typically true once it is over 12-20 years of service useage }

For myself if the ballast is bad all I will suggest is get a new luminaire it more cheaper than try to get the ballast unless it is a specail shape or useage.

Merci.
Marc
Old 03-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #11

Lamppost bulb

Quote:
Most of the resdentail HPS luminaire the ballast will be useally a last thing to go out in normal situation so just try the photocell first then you will know you have bad ballast {this is typically true once it is over 12-20 years of service useage }

For myself if the ballast is bad all I will suggest is get a new luminaire it more cheaper than try to get the ballast unless it is a specail shape or useage.

Merci.
Marc
Home was built in 1995.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
" Euro " electrician

Lamppost bulb

Ok with that post it may be still good but do this lamp post have ballast inside the luminaire { light fixure } or in the post ? { in post verison typically used with commercal post lights }

I know early one have weak ballast and some case the voltage may be a little low as well that will affect it.

If you want to read the voltage look for line supply and read the voltage with voltmeter it should be about 115 to 125 volt range anything below of that range may cause some issue with the lamp itself.

Merci,
Marc
Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #13

Lamppost bulb

Quote:
Ok with that post it may be still good but do this lamp post have ballast inside the luminaire { light fixure } or in the post ? { in post verison typically used with commercal post lights }

I know early one have weak ballast and some case the voltage may be a little low as well that will affect it.

If you want to read the voltage look for line supply and read the voltage with voltmeter it should be about 115 to 125 volt range anything below of that range may cause some issue with the lamp itself.

Merci,
Marc
This ballast is in the post.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #14

Lamppost bulb

Quote:

Merci,
Marc
Here is the kind of photocell that I have.
http://www.expresslightbulbs.com/ind...oducts_id=1738
Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #15
" Euro " electrician

Lamppost bulb

Try this trick for the photocell sensor get a black electrical tape and not excatally cover the photocell but make like tubelike shape and cover it in that fashon to see if that reduce the amout of the light cycling.

I have done that few time when some photocell is very senstive so try that trick to rule it out.

Merci.
Marc