The Lamp Post That I've Tried To Light. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 164

The lamp post that I've tried to light.

This lamppost in front of my house I have been off and on trying to get lit for some time now. This is the closest I've been i have found out where the wires lead. By the front door there are (4) switch panel for porch light lamppost living room receptacles and hall light. The only way I see power getting to this lamppost is by the next switch. As I follow the wire down to the basement it gets connected from white 14/2 to grey 14/2 which I believe is a underground cover type. This leads into a conduit pipe runs along front of house into the lamppost. Now I didn't have power all the way through the white would have it and grey would not or the switch would have it and not the wire. So the latest is I changed the wire connection on the switch came down stairs and cut and reconnected where white wire nutted into grey. I had power all the way through by the time I checked the light the breaker tripped. Or it tripped when I flipped the switch.
Thanks for any help you can spare!

Advertisement

68MHJCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 400

You may have a short from moisture/grounding etc.

Where you made your connection from white to gray: try hooking up an old lamp or similar. I used to use such a device instead of testers. Just cut off male pronged end of an old lamp and connect. If it lights, you're good up to that point and your fault is outdoors.

Outdoor connections get corrosion and sometimes all you need to do is to strip the wire ends again and reconnect, provided you have some slack.

Advertisement

diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote