Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #1

Share |

lamp post

I have a lamp post outside that I am going to replace this spring with a new one... right now they just have 14-2 romex ran underground to it... not in a conduit or anything... should I replace this with UF cable? or is NM cable still the way to do something simple like this? Also should I use conduit?

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #2

lamp post

You should always use UF for direct bury.

hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #3

lamp post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayewe farm View Post
You should always use UF for direct bury.
UF shouldn't be in a conduit though right? just burried?... I assume I'd still need conduit though going into and up my concrete base I will have to pour for this though
Old 02-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Just call me Andrew

lamp post

How long is the run? I went with stranded THWN wires inside pvc conduit. You aren't supposed to run UF through conduit for a long run, though I don't know if code approves it or not.

Code says for sch. 40 pvc conduit the trench has to be 18" deep for a non-GFCI circuit. You only have to go 12" if your circuit is protected.

I also ran a piece of twine throuh the PVC as I assembled it. I used a swing elbow to bring the pipe & string right into the hole in the bottom of the lamp post. Then I duct taped the 3 THWN #12 wires (black, white, ground) to the string and pulled it through while a buddy fed it from the other end and lubed it up real nice with wire lubricant Don't run the wire through as you glue, the glue can deteriorate the wire insulation if it makes contact. And do yourself a favor and get stranded wire (not solid), it's way easier to pull.

You can direct-bury UF cable, but after having to dig up and replace a whole run that was done that way (by the last homeowner) due to a tear somewhere in the wire...I'll never do it myself.

Here's a pic of my conduit leaving the basement wall, with the string sitting there waiting to tape up the wires:
Attached Thumbnails
lamp post-conduit.jpg  

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #5

lamp post

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
How long is the run? I went with stranded THWN wires inside pvc conduit. You aren't supposed to run UF through conduit for a long run, though I don't know if code approves it or not.

Code says for sch. 40 pvc conduit the trench has to be 18" deep for a non-GFCI circuit. You only have to go 12" if your circuit is protected.

I also ran a piece of twine throuh the PVC as I assembled it. I used a swing elbow to bring the pipe & string right into the hole in the bottom of the lamp post. Then I duct taped the 3 THWN #12 wires (black, white, ground) to the string and pulled it through while a buddy fed it from the other end and lubed it up real nice with wire lubricant Don't run the wire through as you glue, the glue can deteriorate the wire insulation if it makes contact. And do yourself a favor and get stranded wire (not solid), it's way easier to pull.

You can direct-bury UF cable, but after having to dig up and replace a whole run that was done that way (by the last homeowner) due to a tear somewhere in the wire...I'll never do it myself.

Here's a pic of my conduit leaving the basement wall, with the string sitting there waiting to tape up the wires:
The run right now is probably 10 ft - 15 ft at most... im not completly sure as I am still trying to trace where the darn thing enters the house at... all I know its it is on my garage circuit but I can not for the life of me find the entrance... I'm about to turn off all the circuits except the garage at night and follow the lines that have current (with a current tester) when only the lamp post is on...