DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   knob and tubing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/knob-tubing-109199/)

daltinator 06-29-2011 04:18 PM

knob and tubing
 
Are the porcelain insulators worth anything or is that just throw away? Thanks.

kbsparky 06-29-2011 07:01 PM

I throw `em away. IF you can find someone willing to pay $$$ for them, let me know, and I'll sell him bunches of `em!!

Leah Frances 06-29-2011 07:09 PM

I'd save a representative example or two. Trash the rest.....

or find a creative way to repurpose them:

- give em to the kids to string into festive christmas garland.

- insert a reed and make a tube whistle. Repeat x10 for a pan-pipe.

- Three words: miniature bowling set.

joed 06-29-2011 08:27 PM

The tubes are supposed to be excellent as knife sharpeners.

SD515 06-29-2011 08:27 PM

They make good pea-shooters :laughing:

SD515 06-29-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joed (Post 676873)
The tubes are supposed to be excellent as knife sharpeners.

I'll have to try that sometime.

epson 06-29-2011 10:08 PM

You can also use them as napkin holders, paper weights, a spool for some string, a plumb bob...

Leah Frances 06-29-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epson
You can also use them as napkin holders, paper weights, a spool for some string, a plumb bob...

I've got at least two doing duty as plumb bobs.

epson 06-29-2011 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leah Frances (Post 676952)
I've got at least two doing duty as plumb bobs.

So Iím not the only one in this world using them as plumb bobs :thumbup:

daltinator 06-29-2011 10:20 PM

Knob and tube
 
That is what I figured. I had to ask cause I hate throwing things away that possibly could be useful to someone. I went on Ebay and one guy is selling one of the insulators for 15 dollars. It has to be a joke. http://cgi.ebay.com/Porcelain-Insula...item483f1b4e42.
The post really cracks me up. He has 3 pictures of a single tube and says it is a antique in perfect condition.lol. Thanks for the post. No pea shooters or bowling alleys for me. Straight to the garbage.

epson 06-29-2011 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daltinator (Post 676957)
That is what I figured. I had to ask cause I hate throwing things away that possibly could be useful to someone. I went on Ebay and one guy is selling one of the insulators for 15 dollars. It has to be a joke. http://cgi.ebay.com/Porcelain-Insula...item483f1b4e42.
The post really cracks me up. He has 3 pictures of a single tube and says it is a antique in perfect condition.lol. Thanks for the post. No pea shooters or bowling alleys for me. Straight to the garbage.

Boy what some people will do or sell for a buckÖ.

WDR 07-02-2011 01:00 AM

If you look up sundial wire they say they will buy the knobs for up to $2 a piece depending on condition. I have never delt with them though.

bobelectric 07-02-2011 06:39 AM

Save them to show your apprentices. And explain to them they used a hand drill to do the whole house. Pass on the History of Electric! I sometimes wonder how many workers fed their family because of stuff thats no longer needed,but needed at the time.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved