DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Knob and Tube (

Todashadm76 10-01-2011 11:39 AM

Knob and Tube
I am replacing knob and tube wiring in my home, the last bit i have to do, the light for my hallway has a switch at the top and bottom of my stairs. The bottom one is knob and tube and was closed up but just had tape on the wires. What would be the proper way to cover these? Is a marrette sufficient or is the something better. When i replace the wire for upstairs this knob and tube wont work anyway but just wondering the best way to cover for now. As my wifes brother in law is the one that disconected the switch, I am not sure what he was thinking just putting tape on it. cause i dont think that is safe with knob and tube. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

AllanJ 10-01-2011 12:07 PM

For each section of knob and tube wiring where both ends have been unhooked (or for a T section where all three ends have been unhooked) the wires can be buried in the wall with no further treatment.

If any one end is still connected or unknown than the other ends must be enclosed in outlet boxes or junction boxes with covers exposed on the wall or ceiling.

Do not marrette (wire nut) together two or more loose ends.

Todashadm76 10-01-2011 12:49 PM

I knew i could just leave it in the wall if no power running to it. I just wanted to know the proper way to do it. There is 2 hots and 1 neutral in the box. My wife was telling me that it would trip the breaker before thats why her brother inlaw unhooked it. Thank you

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1