Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #16
Member
 
Oso954's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern Calif.
Posts: 1,661
Rewards Points: 1,198
Default

Kitchen remodel


Quote:
Sab....California follows the 2008 NEC (so far)...
Generally yes, but more correctly, Calif. uses the 2010 California Electrical Code (CEC), which is the 2008 NEC with Calif. amendments.

The 2013 CEC code books (based on NEC 2011) are supposed to be available next month. The 2013 CEC code will go into effect on January 1, 2014.

Implementation at the city and county level may be delayed by late adoption by the governing bodies.

Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,712
Rewards Points: 2,222
Default

Kitchen remodel


Be sure to follow the Title 24 requirements for energy efficient lighting in the kitchen.
__________________
Answers based on the National Electrical Code. Local amendments may apply. Check with your local building officials.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #18
Electrical Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 725
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Kitchen remodel


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port
Be sure to follow the Title 24 requirements for energy efficient lighting in the kitchen.
Allow me...

Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle_in_rure For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Kitchen remodel


Thanks to all for the help. This is what I am planning to do based on what I read: all are 20A circuits referenced. 1 circuit for microhood. 1 circuit for disposal and dishwasher. 1 circuit home run to refrigerator and the two outlets on the same wall with GFI on first outlet. 1 circuit home run for outlet powering fridge and washer in the garage and the two outlets on either side of the sink with GFI on first. If this works, this will allow me to not have to add any new breakers.

As for Title 24, I need to read up on it as it is quite long -- any insight would help. Was looking to put six 6" can lights that cover kitchen entry way and dining area all led and 3 to 4 under cabinet wired into one of the 15A circuits.

Am I golden? :-) (No California wise cracks please - ha)
sabughaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #20
Member
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 7,929
Rewards Points: 2,652
Blog Entries: 4
Default

Kitchen remodel


The garage circuit needs to be GFCI even with the fridge on it.
__________________
Do not PM with questions that can be asked in a forum. I will not respond.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #21
JW
 
mm11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 202
Rewards Points: 170
Default

Kitchen remodel


Quote:
Originally Posted by sabughaz View Post
Thanks to all for the help. This is what I am planning to do based on what I read: all are 20A circuits referenced. 1 circuit for microhood. 1 circuit for disposal and dishwasher. 1 circuit home run to refrigerator and the two outlets on the same wall with GFI on first outlet. 1 circuit home run for outlet powering fridge and washer in the garage and the two outlets on either side of the sink with GFI on first. If this works, this will allow me to not have to add any new breakers.

As for Title 24, I need to read up on it as it is quite long -- any insight would help. Was looking to put six 6" can lights that cover kitchen entry way and dining area all led and 3 to 4 under cabinet wired into one of the 15A circuits.

Am I golden? :-) (No California wise cracks please - ha)
The 2 required small appliance branch circuits are for the kitchen area only (kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, dining room, or similar).

Check the loads for the disposal and DW. You may or may not need to run separate circuits for these.
mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #22
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Kitchen remodel


Thanks. The garage has power coming from a 15A breaker that also powers the bedroom right next to it. This outlet I refer to was on a different line on a 20A breaker feeding from the fan and outlets in the kitchen originally. Should the garage be on a 20A breaker in general? This outlet needs to be as my washer is 12A and the fridge is 6.5A.

As for the other 20A circuit, the dishwasher is 9.5A and the disposal is 6.5A so I should be good connecting both on a 20A circuit.
sabughaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #23
JW
 
mm11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 202
Rewards Points: 170
Default

Kitchen remodel


You should have a dedicated 20A circuit for the laundry, per the NEC. There's no requirement for the garage to be on a 20A circuit however.
mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mm11 For This Useful Post:
sabughaz (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #24
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Kitchen remodel


Quote:
Originally Posted by mm11 View Post
You should have a dedicated 20A circuit for the laundry, per the NEC. There's no requirement for the garage to be on a 20A circuit however.
Useally no requirement but more down to the common sense due you never know what ya running in the garage so it work the best to run it own circuit.

Most garage I useally deal are typically 2 circuits unless I run into very serious hobbist with bunch of tools then it will be more circuit in there or run a sub panel and go from there.

Merci,
Marc
__________________
The answer will be based on NEC ( National Electrical code ) or CEC ( Cananda Electrical code ) or ECF ( Electrique Code France )
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
Lic Electrical Inspector
 
electures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Great Police State of New Jersey
Posts: 1,698
Rewards Points: 1,024
Default

Kitchen remodel


Quote:
Originally Posted by sabughaz View Post
Hi all. I am remodeling my kitchen and want to make sure I set up my wiring properly. My old setup was the following: The fridge, dishwasher and disposal all have separate 20A breakers. The range hood was on a separate 20A breaker but also fed power to 4 kitchen outlets and an outlet in the garage that powered my second fridge and my washing machine. I am installing a micro hood that I am being told must have its own 20A breaker. I am also being told code is to put each wall of outlets in the kitchen on separate GFCI lines on separate 20A breakers. I will have 2 outlets on either side of the sink and two more on another perpendicular wall. I was going to combine my disposal and dishwasher on the same 20A breaker, use the extra 20A for the 4 outlets in the kitchen and the garage outlet but i dont think that is to code. What is the proper setup? Thanks for the help in advance.
Please add your location to your profile. This will allow a professional from your locale to provide information specific to your area.
__________________
All responses based on the 2011 NEC.
If you live in New Jersey click here. All other states click here.
Please check with local, county and state officials as laws may vary.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #26
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Kitchen remodel


Quote:
Originally Posted by mm11 View Post
That would be me.

I covered the possible fridge issue in my response- home run to the fridge receptacle, then install GFCI receptacle downline for countertop receptacles.

Nothing in the NEC says that the disposal and DW need dedicated circuits- it's the load that matters. For instance, say the disposal draws 5A and the DW is 10A, for a total of 15A; 20A branch circuit would be fine for this installation.
What about New Jersey? My kitchen is 50 years old. None of the circuits is dedicated. I am still trying to decipher who shares with whom... and the inspection is this Friday. I called my inspection official. He said GFCI at least three times, so I hope this is all he cares about.

By the way, will the inspector go down to the basement and take a look at the panel?
cinderellaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
Remodel and New Build GC
 
MTN REMODEL LLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Colorado @ 7651'
Posts: 2,866
Rewards Points: 2,002
Default

Kitchen remodel


Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderellaii View Post
What about New Jersey? My kitchen is 50 years old. None of the circuits is dedicated. I am still trying to decipher who shares with whom... and the inspection is this Friday. I called my inspection official. He said GFCI at least three times, so I hope this is all he cares about.

By the way, will the inspector go down to the basement and take a look at the panel?

Do you mean a private home inspector for a sales transaction
__________________
Never stop learning (xcep fer speling en typeing)
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #28
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Kitchen remodel


Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC

Do you mean a private home inspector for a sales transaction
Sorry. The inspector from my township. I am remodeling my kitchen now.
cinderellaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #29
Remodel and New Build GC
 
MTN REMODEL LLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Colorado @ 7651'
Posts: 2,866
Rewards Points: 2,002
Default

Kitchen remodel


Generally speaking, no way to guess an individual inspectors concerns and position on certain code, but in your remodel, did you pull an electrical permit.

And then if you pulled an electrical permit, depending on the scope of work, local amendments and subjective judgement of inspector, yes... you might be required to bring all concerned electrical to code.

However, if he was talking GFI's 3 times on the phone, my thought is he is a nice guy tipping you off that that is going to be his concern in re to electrical.

He was just subtedly tipping you off, because he is not going to commit to a definitive statement.... "We only check GFI's"

Good luck

Peter
__________________
Never stop learning (xcep fer speling en typeing)
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #30
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Kitchen remodel


Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC
Generally speaking, no way to guess an individual inspectors concerns and position on certain code, but in your remodel, did you pull an electrical permit.

And then if you pulled an electrical permit, depending on the scope of work, local amendments and subjective judgement of inspector, yes... you might be required to bring all concerned electrical to code.

However, if he was talking GFI's 3 times on the phone, my thought is he is a nice guy tipping you off that that is going to be his concern in re to electrical.

He was just subtedly tipping you off, because he is not going to commit to a definitive statement.... "We only check GFI's"

Good luck

Peter
Thank you for your kind words! I surely hope so!

cinderellaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
kitchen remodel... color question(s) Rkn Interior Decorating 11 02-01-2013 10:58 AM
Kitchen remodel leiona Project Showcase 251 10-04-2012 09:58 AM
Kitchen remodel and venting joeh Plumbing 5 12-17-2011 06:38 PM
Unintended kitchen remodel Itsdanf Project Showcase 191 06-14-2010 11:23 AM
Kitchen remodel; ductwork pinkertonpv HVAC 3 02-18-2009 03:03 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.