Kitchen Remodel - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2013, 03:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen remodel

Hi all. I am remodeling my kitchen and want to make sure I set up my wiring properly. My old setup was the following: The fridge, dishwasher and disposal all have separate 20A breakers. The range hood was on a separate 20A breaker but also fed power to 4 kitchen outlets and an outlet in the garage that powered my second fridge and my washing machine. I am installing a micro hood that I am being told must have its own 20A breaker. I am also being told code is to put each wall of outlets in the kitchen on separate GFCI lines on separate 20A breakers. I will have 2 outlets on either side of the sink and two more on another perpendicular wall. I was going to combine my disposal and dishwasher on the same 20A breaker, use the extra 20A for the 4 outlets in the kitchen and the garage outlet but i dont think that is to code. What is the proper setup? Thanks for the help in advance.

Advertisement

sabughaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

Kitchen remodel

dish , micro, disposal, Frig, all seperate

PLUS you need 2 circuits to the countertop outlets ... just split them up and the first one of each is GFI ....

garage should be seperate ... and GFI

Advertisement

MTN REMODEL LLC (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,570

Kitchen remodel

Add your location. Rules are different depending on where you live.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #4

Kitchen remodel

I live in California.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Kitchen remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabughaz View Post
I live in California.

LOL all the outlets go on the left ....
Kyle_in_rure (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #6

Kitchen remodel

Lol Philly. Thanks for your help. Really not looking forward to running new lines into the house.....time to do it right!!
The Following User Says Thank You to sabughaz For This Useful Post:
Philly Master (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,236

Kitchen remodel

Where in CA? I grew up in Santa Rosa. Have you verified that homeowners are allowed to do their own electrical work? Given how that state is, it wouldn't surprise me if they can't. Same for plumbing.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,222

Kitchen remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Where in CA? I grew up in Santa Rosa. Have you verified that homeowners are allowed to do their own electrical work? Given how that state is, it wouldn't surprise me if they can't. Same for plumbing.

GREAT COMMENT PHILLY!!!

MD.... All I definitively know is that yes a homeowner (and his/her father by default) are permitted to do their own elec/plumb in Dana Point and Tiburon. (Kids have homes and we've done extensive permitted work)

I am not certain what of Cali code permits this... for some reason, I'm pretty sure it is not any local amendment thing though.

But good point. (Actually I thought in most jurisdictions HO's were allowed to do their own work... but I don't really know. What is everyone's experience with that accross the country??? CURIOSITY

Best Peter
Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

Kitchen remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post
Ouch...that hurts....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-28-2013), Philly Master (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
JOATMON

Kitchen remodel

In California....if you pull permits....you can pretty much do it all.....On my 2-story addition, I farmed out the hard stuff...but nothing stopped me from doing it myself.

Sab....California follows the 2008 NEC (so far)...so as the guys above said...

Fridge, Microwave, Disposal, Dishwasher have to each have their own 20A ckt. The exception on the Microwave is if it's a counter top unit and plugged into one of your counter top outlets.

2 20A ckts for countertop outlets. GFIC. You can have as many outlets off those GFCI's as you want. You can also have more 20A ckts if you want.

Note...if you have a gas cook top...it's ok to connect it off the countertop ckt. You only need a little power to run the ignighter.

So...excluding the oven....you have at least 6 20a ckts going to your kitchen. And to be honest....it's right. With all the stuff you run in the kitchen now...toaster, blender, coffee pot, etc....you need them.

Now...with that said....some cities might have local codes requiring GFCI's for some of the above items....not in my area...but I've heard of some cities doing it. But for sure, your Fridge is NOT on a GFCI....you don't want anything external tripping the breaker and causing the food to spoil.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
sabughaz (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #11

Kitchen remodel

:-) didn't hurt my feelings as I am middle to right but it was quite funny.

Does the garage need to be 20A or can I use an existing 15A and reroute wiring? The more I get into this and learn about my house wiring the more I realize the builders were saving money on wire from the way everything is set up. It meets code but does not make logical sense....talking mostly about the 15A circuits and one of the 20A circuits.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
JW

Rewards Points: 194

Kitchen remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
In California....if you pull permits....you can pretty much do it all.....On my 2-story addition, I farmed out the hard stuff...but nothing stopped me from doing it myself.

Sab....California follows the 2008 NEC (so far)...so as the guys above said...

Fridge, Microwave, Disposal, Dishwasher have to each have their own 20A ckt. The exception on the Microwave is if it's a counter top unit and plugged into one of your counter top outlets.

2 20A ckts for countertop outlets. GFIC. You can have as many outlets off those GFCI's as you want. You can also have more 20A ckts if you want.

Note...if you have a gas cook top...it's ok to connect it off the countertop ckt. You only need a little power to run the ignighter.

So...excluding the oven....you have at least 6 20a ckts going to your kitchen. And to be honest....it's right. With all the stuff you run in the kitchen now...toaster, blender, coffee pot, etc....you need them.

Now...with that said....some cities might have local codes requiring GFCI's for some of the above items....not in my area...but I've heard of some cities doing it. But for sure, your Fridge is NOT on a GFCI....you don't want anything external tripping the breaker and causing the food to spoil.
FYI, the fridge is not required to have it's own dedicated branch circuit. There's nothing wrong, code-wise, to have it on a small-appliance branch circuit.

Take the home run to the fridge rec. and then install GFCI downline.

Also, depending on the draw of the disposal and dishwasher, they could be combined on the same circuit.
mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mm11 For This Useful Post:
Kyle_in_rure (05-28-2013), sabughaz (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
JOATMON

Kitchen remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm11 View Post
FYI, the fridge is not required to have it's own dedicated branch circuit. There's nothing wrong, code-wise, to have it on a small-appliance branch circuit.

Take the home run to the fridge rec. and then install GFCI downline.

Also, depending on the draw of the disposal and dishwasher, they could be combined on the same circuit.
True on the fridge...but...why put a fridge on a ckt that could get tripped?

As for the disposal and dishwasher? I believe we had that discussion last week...I believe they have to be 'dedicated' ckts....translation, you can't share.

Hopefully one of the sparky's will confirm.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #14
JW

Rewards Points: 194

Kitchen remodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
True on the fridge...but...why put a fridge on a ckt that could get tripped?

As for the disposal and dishwasher? I believe we had that discussion last week...I believe they have to be 'dedicated' ckts....translation, you can't share.

Hopefully one of the sparky's will confirm.
That would be me.

I covered the possible fridge issue in my response- home run to the fridge receptacle, then install GFCI receptacle downline for countertop receptacles.

Nothing in the NEC says that the disposal and DW need dedicated circuits- it's the load that matters. For instance, say the disposal draws 5A and the DW is 10A, for a total of 15A; 20A branch circuit would be fine for this installation.
mm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mm11 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-28-2013), sabughaz (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
Electrical Contractor

Kitchen remodel

You can either put frig on a dedicated 15 amp or u can use one of the 2 20 amp circuits from the counter top ..
We never do this in a new wiring situation.

Remover to look at the manufactures specs in the installation instructions I will bet dedicated dishwasher ..the heater draw a lot. Same with disposal ....dedicated...

Advertisement

sabughaz (05-28-2013)