Kitchen Overload? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2005, 01:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Kitchen Overload?

Forgive me if I don't use the correct terminology but I'm a novice. I live in a co-op apartment and my circuit breaker box says it can hold 80 amps total. There are 2 outlets in the kitchen that share a 20 amp circuit. There is also a dedicated 20 amp line for a dishwasher. All the lines are 120V. The previous owners had a fridge, microwave, dishwasher and gas range. I am replacing all the appliances and getting an electric cooktop and seperate wall oven. I need a dedicated 220V, 20amp line for the electric cooktop which an electrician said would not be a problem. I also want an electric wall oven which would require another 220V 20amp line. Would I be in danger of overloading the circuits? My gut tells me to get a gas wall oven to be on the safe side. Any comments?

Advertisement

christinalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:04 AM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Kitchen Overload?

The fixed appliances MUST be on thier own circuits. They CANNOT share the receptacle circuits. Nothing can.
Only kitchen receptacles can be on kitchen recepacle circuits.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2005, 09:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Kitchen Overload?

Have your electrician do a load calculation and or you could do one yourself. There are a couple of places on line that will step you through it.The code figures that not all appliances will be used at the same time so some items get downrated when figuring load calc. I'm guessing you'll be fine if you don't have anything else like clothes dryer or electric heat on the panel but check with your electrician. HS.
K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote