Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Lightbulb

kitchen lighting setup

I need to figure out how to wire this scenario, power (14-2) enters double gang box, power is divided to operate a 3-way switch setup and a single-pole switch. The leg that operates the single-pole switch I would like to run as follows; Single-pole switch to operate pendant light, pendant light above kitchen sink, outdoor motion sensor light and finally ending at a single pole switch to operate the outdoor light. The book I have offers some diagrams, but doesn't seem to offer one to run this configuration. Do I have to run a seperate line or can I just run it off the one line?

Thank you,
roo_74

roo_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

kitchen lighting setup

If you have all your walls torn apart and can do what you want with your wiring...

What I like to do is run the power to a junction box in the attic/basement and make my connections there, then run just one wire to the switch. Or run power to the light fixture and just one wire to the switch.

Or in your case, maybe two junction boxes in attic or somewhere else, then run the appropriate wire from each to the switches. Then you don't need to worry about cramming a bunch of wires into the electrical box with the switches in it.

The switches take up room inside the electrical box. But with a junction box, you get the whole space inside the box for making wiring connections. And same with a light fixture electrical box, the light fixture does not take up room in the box, so you have all the room in there for making connections.

If you separate the two lighting circuits into two separate junction boxes, one for the outside light and another for the kitchen lighting, the wiring will be less complex and might be easier for you to understand.

But cram all that into one double gang electrical box, and I think I would have my head spinning trying to remember what wire went to what!

Also you can get "box extenders" which you could use for junction boxes and then have twice the room! (The Presidential suite for electrical wiring connections!)

Box extenders...

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 32

kitchen lighting setup

Do it like this. First switch controls the first two lights. The last switch controls the third light.
Attached Images

Last edited by joed; 01-02-2010 at 09:56 PM.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote