Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #1

Share |

Kitchen Lighting Layout - HELP!

I'm trying to plan my kitchen layout for lighting and am getting overwhelmed. The kitchen is an eat in style and 13' x 14' with 7' ceilings. The kitchen is gutted, and we are putting in recessed lighting. We are putting 5" cans along the counter line (25" on center spaced 4' apart.) 2 pendant lights over the sink in front of a double window. Those are each on their own switches and on dimmers. We will also have under cabinet lighting as well. As far as general lighting, how many cans should we install? We read they should be spaced 4' apart. Is that the case for general lighting in the room? We have put them in a staggered pattern and have come up with 9 cans. Is that too many?

nodrog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
JOATMON

Too many lights? Depends on what kind of bulbs you put in the cans.

Hopefully your not using incandescents....otherwise, your looking at pulling too much current on your light ckt.

Per most codes....about half your kitchen lighting needs to be high efficacy...so your looking at using CFL's or LED's.

I'm assuming the cans have the Edison base (screw in)....of so, you might get some grief from the inspector....even if you have CFL's installed.....because of the Edison socket....someone could later install incandescents.....

I believe you can get by the Edison socket issue if you install an ocupancy sensor or dimmer....

If it was me, I would use LED bulbs with a dimmer.....

And I think 9 cans is fine....with the dimmer, you can turn it down....as an option...set them up in 2 banks (alternating) and use CFL's with an occupancy sensor.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #3

9 on one circuit is fine if that is the question. But if it is a design/lumens per sq/ft type question than i am out.
Marc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
Licensed Electrician

The NEC does not mandate any high efficiency usage. That would be something the state mandates, and I have not heard of anyone requiring that of residential...maybe in CA, but this would be the first I've heard of it.

To the OP, it would be hard to give you the information you seek without seeing a drawing of the layout of the kitchen and already installed lighting. Generally 14x13 is not that large of an area and if you already have cans over the counter top area, I would think you could get away with 4 general lighting cans. Six would for sure do it.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_buz View Post
The NEC does not mandate any high efficiency usage. That would be something the state mandates, and I have not heard of anyone requiring that of residential...maybe in CA, but this would be the first I've heard of it.

To the OP, it would be hard to give you the information you seek without seeing a drawing of the layout of the kitchen and already installed lighting. Generally 14x13 is not that large of an area and if you already have cans over the counter top area, I would think you could get away with 4 general lighting cans. Six would for sure do it.
Kbuz....I think your right....I must have Title 24 on the mind....California thing...

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Licensed electrician

The high efficiency lighting thing is part of Title 24 in California. It is not part of the NEC.

Tags
cans, kitchen, lighting, recessed, spacing