Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #1

Share |

kitchen island outlet wiring problem

I'm upgrading out kitchen island.

The previous owner had created an island by taking a freestanding stove to which he then added a 15" base cabinet to each side and then put a big sheet of particleboard across the back tying the whole thing together. He then used a wall-mount range hood and jury-rigged an island hood by sticking particleboard to the back of it, and venting it right into the attic.

I took out the stove and cabinets, leaving a single conduit sticking out of the concrete floor with an old three-prong 240 hookup.

What I want to do is to build a new island out of base cabinets, 48" deep by 5' wide, with a cooktop. Hardwiring the cooktop to the old three wire seems straightforward, and I'm pretty sure I'm not violating code to do it, but a friend pointed out that there's probably supposed to be some normal electrical outlets.

I did some digging around and it looks like my code says an island needs at least one outlet. I can't run anything through the floor, and dropping down a post from the ceiling would really ruin the look of the kitchen. Are their any alternatives, like a legal way to tap into the appliance circuit? It makes me cringe even suggesting it, but then I stop to think that many standalone stoves have appliance outlets built into them...

colarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #2

Would it be possible to do a sub-panel inside a cabinet? then split off the appliance and the (GFI'ed) outlets?

colarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Where does that conduit in the floor go? You might be able to pull in some additional wires to provide power for your counter top outlets ...

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:51 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by colarama View Post
Would it be possible to do a sub-panel inside a cabinet? then split off the appliance and the (GFI'ed) outlets?
To make a 120/240 volt sub panel, you need a 4 wire feed. If the existing wiring is 3 insulated conductors and the conduit is metal, it may be possible.