Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #1

Share |

kitchen gfi

I have a kitchen gfi and the red light is on and you can not plug anything in or reset it. It looks like someone stuffed plastic into every hole like the windows closed on it ? What do I do? Thanks
knitknit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

kitchen gfi

Sounds like a tamper resistant GFCI that has something wrong with it.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #3

kitchen gfi

As far as the plastic goes...sometimes that's just the child protective option that some outlets have. Maybe not in your case. Picture please.

Always consider this, you may have something tripping the GFCI outlet...and that may be why is isn't resetting.

The red light may be on because you have a fault down line. This GFI/GFCI may be protecting more outlets than just itself.

Last edited by Ed911; 03-13-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Ed911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #4

kitchen gfi

I think some GFCIs have a red light that will come on if the receptacle isn't wired correctly. Don't know about the plastic - TR receptacles aren't required here so I've never even seen one.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

kitchen gfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I think some GFCIs have a red light that will come on if the receptacle isn't wired correctly. Don't know about the plastic - TR receptacles aren't required here so I've never even seen one.
Tamper resistant receptacles are required by the 2008 NEC code cycle and WV is on 2008.

What are tamper-resistant electrical receptacles and what is the new requirement?
The 2008 National Electrical Code®(NEC®) will require new and renovated dwellings to have tamper-resistant (TR) receptacles. These receptacles have spring-loaded shutters that close off the contact openings, or slots, of the receptacles. When a plug is inserted into the receptacle, both springs are compressed and the shutters then open, allowing for the metal prongs to make contact to create an electrical circuit. Because both springs must be compressed at the same time, the shutters do not open when a child attempts to insert an object into only one contact opening, and there is no contact with electricity. Tamper- resistant receptacles are an important next step to making the home a safer place for children.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
Ed911 (03-14-2012)