Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #1

Share |

Kitchen Exhaust Fan

Are there specialty fans for kitchen exhaust (not range hoods) or can regular bathroom exhaust fans be used to exhaust the kitchen? I'm interested only in getting rid of the smoke; not worried about grease, plus, I can't go with a range hood because there's no easy way to mount it (no cabinets, jutted wall, etc.).

Nobody at Home Depot could tell me anything about Kitchen Exhaust Fans (other than the range hood), but I was just wondering, there must be something.

sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #2

Kitchen Exhaust Fan

What I am proposing to do is install an exhaust fan in the ceiling above the stove, and exhaust it through the attic to outside. Would this be doable with a regular bathroom fan?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Kitchen Exhaust Fan

The bath fans I have installed say not to be used in a kitchen setting. I also doubt that the bath fan would meet the mechanical code for that usage.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Kitchen Exhaust Fan

Here is one rated for both bath and kitchen; there are many more

http://cgi.ebay.com/NUTONE-8310-CEIL...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #5

Kitchen Exhaust Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Here is one rated for both bath and kitchen; there are many more

http://cgi.ebay.com/NUTONE-8310-CEIL...QQcmdZViewItem
Thats a bathroom/kitchen fan but not a range hood fan. It cannot be used for range/stove purposes. But would be okay in the ceiling as it will do nothing for stove smoke or grease removal. Only a range hood can accomplish this. Nice fan though for general exhaust.

Buy a high quality range hood with rear or top exhaust. Use the same size duct from the fan to the exit on the roof. Use the largest duct the fan is designed for. I too looked at in line fans to boost my range hood suction capability. After much leg work I found the best way to go is with a high quality range hood. They come in all types. I regular bath fan CANNOT be used for exhausting stoves or ranges. It is very dangerous. The fan must be rated for the purpose.

Look for a hood that has side by side squirrel cage fan blades. Not just a single one in the middle. Buy the one with the highest CFM available at the price you can afford.

Last edited by J. V.; 01-29-2011 at 11:30 AM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:57 AM   #6

Kitchen Exhaust Fan

RANGE HOOD: As far as I can tell, a range hood can't be installed where my stove is located because the wall behind it (apparently the chimney stack) juts out about 3", and measures only 16-7/8" wide, while the stove is 30", so I don't see a method for physically attaching it (I don't know if I should cut screw holes into the chimney stack). I suppose I could run the venting (from a range hood) up the wall into the attic, but that would be so "out there", visually. There are no cabinets. Moving the stove left or right to get against a flat wall isn't feasible in my case either.

This is a duplex house with a concrete wall between the two apartments, and, of course, the stove sits against that wall

I would think that the Nutone 8310, if its CFM is high enough, should work to take out smoke if it's directly over the stove?? Again, I'm not concerned with catching grease at this point.

What do you think?
Old 01-30-2011, 11:51 PM   #7

Kitchen Exhaust Fan

well, guess you all stickin to your story?
Old 01-31-2011, 10:42 AM   #8

Kitchen Exhaust Fan

Range hoods come is many different styles. They do not require rear exhaust. I have seen them installed over peninsula cook spaces. I am not sure what you meant by your last comment.
Maybe you should do a little leg work and see whats available. You do have a computer.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #9

Kitchen Exhaust Fan

exhaust for sale
Quote:
An exhaust system refers to the passage where the waste of a car passes through from the car. It is very crucial to a functional car in order to ensure that no waste stays in the car. When there is waste in the car, or in the cars system, the car tends to have slow operation and is not effective. If this dirt accumulates in large quantities, they may end up blocking some important parts and therefore preventing flow of petrol and other fuels. When this waste accumulates in solid form, it makes it hard for engines to run smoothly and this may cause their breakdown.
Such sounds are very annoying and it may upset many individuals as it causes noise pollution to the environment. In order to avoid this, one should ensure that they have a proper exhaust system.

trinfryit is offline   Reply With Quote