Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

Kitchen electrical permit

I know this is going to be a question an inspector needs to answer, but I wanted to ask what other peoples experiences are or what I should expect...

If I pull an electrical permit for bringing the kitchen up to code, I suspect I'll have a rough and final inspection, or will it just be final since it's in a room that's already finished?

What raises this question is my thinking about supplying electric to the kitchen in the meantime... I'd rather minimize how much time I'm operating off extension cords. Is it better to run off extension cords until final, or just start using new wiring before final - it would affect whether I approach it as doing the panel first then a circuit at a time or if I can't use anything until done I'd divide it up by expense, probably saving the sub-panel for last.

WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post
I know this is going to be a question an inspector needs to answer.
Correct. Call them and ask them what the procedure is to get a permit and inspection.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
I ask the impossible!

I'm getting slightly cynical with these guys because the procedure involves me leaving work an hour early to try to get there by 5 because the permit says they're open until 5, then I put my last quarter in the parking meter only to find out they actually close at 4:30, then come back the next day, get the permit then find a $10 parking ticket because I was out of quarters and the meter vulture swoops in the very second they see you go out of sight on their security camera. (This describes my experience thus far from the second round of permits on this house)

Mostly it's a question of whether this is going to require a rough inspection or not. I have a message in, and the electrical inspector is in afternoons.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #4

If you are opening up the walls and putting in all new wiring then most likely you will have a rough inspection and a final.