Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #1

Share |

Kitchen electric

How many switches, outlets, lights are allowed on a 20amp circuit?

brettwier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Jack of all - master none

Kitchen electric

Kitchens are not quite that simple (which you may know). You need several circuits. At least two 20-amp branch circuits are required to feed receptacle outlets for small appliance loads. Those circuits can't supply anything else. You also can't share a load with a built-in appliance and the countertop outlets. So, you'll need a separate circuit for your lights, built-in appliances (dishwasher, disposal, etc), 2 outlet circuits, and possibly more.

I am not an electrician, but have read quite a bit. I was referencing a guide I have - which may or may not be the most current. I expect a real electrician will be by soon to amend what I stated.

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyunelan2 For This Useful Post:
brettwier (02-22-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
Scared Electrician

Kitchen electric

hyunelan2 is correct in the essentials. what are you doing that we may give more relevant advice?

however strickly speaking number of anything on a circuit is not a code issue but a design issue. In short there is no limit to the number(100+) of plugs i could put on a circuit, however not a good idea.

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.

Last edited by Saturday Cowboy; 02-22-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #4

Kitchen electric

The kitchen has just one 20amp for the counter outlets, Not enough, I know. I am adding a second one.
I have a seperate circuit for the ceiling lights which I am expanding form 4 to 8.
I am adding a 20 amp for above cabinet, below cabinet and below toe kick totaling 13 outlets on 3 seperate switches. This is the one I'm concerned about overloading.
I looks as though I need to add yet another 15 or 20 for the microwave alone.
Thanks for the advice
Old 02-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Jack of all - master none

Kitchen electric

AFAIK, the switches of the circuit in question don't matter. You could put in 52 switches to turn on a single light bulb if you wanted. All 13 of those outlets are just for the cabinet and toe-kick lighting? Is it possible to use less outlets and just use longer low-voltage wiring?

From a code standpoint though, I don't see anything wrong with 13 outlets on a 20a circuit. That would allow you to pull 180w per outlet before you max out the line, and I doubt your cabinet lighting is that intense. Still, I think you might be better-off reexamining your lighting situation and combining several of those. I know the 4 under-cabinet halogen lights I have in my office plug into a single receptacle - are you counting an outlet per light? It just seems like a lot.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #6

Kitchen electric

Does anyone know if it's possible to have a dimmer switch(s) on a 3-way?
Old 03-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #7
Scared Electrician

Kitchen electric

yes replace one 3 way switch with a 3 way dimmer

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #8

Kitchen electric

True. If what you are interested in is the ability to dim from both locations of the 3-way you will need to go with digital dimmers. A style like the Lutron Maestro works well. When you do a 3-way in digital just be aware that you need one main (master) dimmer and one accessory dimmer. You can't use two main dimmers, an you wouldn't want to because the main dimmer is more expensive than the accessory.
Ehsoccer15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #9

Kitchen electric

Are you putting lighting in the toekick? That is the first I have heard of this. I will have to read up on toekick lighting. I suspect that it must be low voltage. You definately do not want to put a 120 volt recepticle in the toekick space. That is way too close to the floor which gets wet occasionally.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #10

Kitchen electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwier View Post
How many switches, outlets, lights are allowed on a 20amp circuit?
Where are you located ?
Canada restricts the number, in the US its based on possible load for light fixtures, no limit for outlets

20a = 2400w

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote