Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Kitchen countertop recept.

Hi all, new here! Not to electrical work however. My younger brother and I are in the midst of remodeling and converting the 2nd floor of my house into a small apartment for him (Permit pulled for the job). We're in the process of roughing in the electrical (I live in NH if that helps). Would someone kindly fill me in on the countertop receptacles in the small kitchen we're building? It's going to have a mini fridge, apartment size gas oven/stove and the usual microwave, toaster, toaster oven, sink, etc... My question is, how many GFCI protected receptacles can I have on a single circuit? We have installed 4 outlet boxes for the receptacles. Can all 4 receptacles be on the same circuit? Also, does the mini-fridge need it's own circuit? Perhaps I'm thinking of something else but I thought I overheard someone who claimed to be an electrician that the fridge had to be on it's own dedicated circuit. All comments and suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for the help.

JD45Grn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 30

There is no limit on GFI protected receptacles under the NEC.

You need at least 2 20 amp small appliance circuits serving the counters.

No space on the counter more than 2 foot from a receptacle.

CarpenterSFO (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
Pro

2011 NEC 210.52.B.1 allows the refrigerator to be supplied by one of the the 2, 20-amp kitchen receptacle circuits, but it also permits it to be supplied by its own 15-amp or greater circuit.

2013 California electrical code allows the same. Check current NH electrical code at that number to see what your local situation is, or go check at your local AHJ.

Last edited by CarpenterSFO; 06-18-2014 at 09:17 AM.
CarpenterSFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
There is no limit on GFI protected receptacles under the NEC.

You need at least 2 20 amp small appliance circuits serving the counters.

No space on the counter more than 2 foot from a receptacle.
Mr. Jim Port, Just to be sure I understand this clearly; Seeing I have 4 receptacles serving the counter space, then I need to break them up into 2 20 amp circuits, each circuit GFCI protected, correct? Or am I reading too much into this? I tend to over analyze things so please excuse the questions. Roger
Old 06-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD45Grn View Post
Mr. Jim Port, Just to be sure I understand this clearly; Seeing I have 4 receptacles serving the counter space, then I need to break them up into 2 20 amp circuits, each circuit GFCI protected, correct? Or am I reading too much into this? I tend to over analyze things so please excuse the questions. Roger
That is correct.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #6

Thanks to all 3 of you kind folks by helping me out and clarifying that for me. I appreciate it. Roger