Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen circuits

Kitchen remodel, how many circuits (20 amp) and to what is common today? Was planning on one for fridge, dishwasher and disposal. Two for outlets on counter tops. One for microwave and igniters for gas stove. Overhead pendant lights on same circuit as dining room light.

Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,052

Kitchen circuits

1. Refrigerator 15 or 20 amp.
2. Dishwasher combined with disposal 20 amp.
3.Microwave combined with ignitor 20 amp.
4. Two(2) 20 amp small appliance branch circuits for countertops.

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Kitchen circuits

Agreed.

Suggest balancing the countertop receptacles. Don’t do what they did in my house. Put 1 cntr-top recpt on one circuit, 7 on the other.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

Kitchen circuits

I have the following:

1 15a for dining & kitchen lights (3 fixtures)
1 20a for baseboard wall outlets for Kitchen & Dining area (6 outlets)
1 15a for Dispoall
1 20a for outlet for Countertop Microwave (GFCI outlet)
1 20a for 2 countertop outlets (GFCI).

Last edited by gregzoll; 07-05-2011 at 09:13 AM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Kitchen circuits

Tyically 4 or more circuit is common with the kitchen area but for small kitchen or bare bone set up 2 circuits { per NEC codé minuim requirement }

My kitchen in Wisconsin have 7 circuits including a 240 volt circuit for tea kettle { just don't start discuss on this part so leave it out }

In France it typically 3 or more circuit depending on size.

Merci,
Marc
Old 07-05-2011, 04:12 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 570

Kitchen circuits

If you can, put in plenty.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen circuits

Thanks for the great answers. Will get busy this weekend to get ready for elec, plumbing and gas inspections.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:13 AM   #8
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,002

Kitchen circuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Kitchen remodel, how many circuits (20 amp) and to what is common today? Was planning on one for fridge, dishwasher and disposal. Two for outlets on counter tops. One for microwave and igniters for gas stove. Overhead pendant lights on same circuit as dining room light.
Without knowing electrical specs for disposal and D/W, run dedicated circuit for each. Check D/W installation instructions for electrical requirements. Avoid putting disposal and D/W on same circuit. Disposal is a motor.

Dedicated 15 or 20a circuit to frig and M/W. Built-in M/W's do not require GFI protection. Frig does not require GFI either. At least 2 20 amp small appliance circuits to counter top receptacles. All counter top receptacles require GFI protection. No lighting on 20a small appliance branch circuits.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #9
DIYer

Rewards Points: 150

Kitchen circuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by electures View Post
Without knowing electrical specs for disposal and D/W, run dedicated circuit for each. Check D/W installation instructions for electrical requirements. Avoid putting disposal and D/W on same circuit. Disposal is a motor.

Dedicated 15 or 20a circuit to frig and M/W. Built-in M/W's do not require GFI protection. Frig does not require GFI either. At least 2 20 amp small appliance circuits to counter top receptacles. All counter top receptacles require GFI protection. No lighting on 20a small appliance branch circuits.
I am finishing up the wiring in my kitchen remodel and I have a question about this same setup specifically about the last statement regarding adding lights to a small appliance circuit...
I have all of the circuits in place as suggested above. I need to add two pairs of over-bar pendant lights over the bars I'm adding to the kitchen. One pair switched on each of two opposite walls. It seems dumb to add these to the 15A lighting circuit which already has 7 recessed lights, a ceiling fan/light combo, dining room chandelier, plus three outlets in the adjacent family room (end table lamps). I've done the math and even with all the lights on, I'm still okay. The 20A small appliance circuit will power a toaster and a blender a few times per month. Most likely these two appliances will never run at the same time. It just seems silly to have this appliance circuit that is so underutilized.
I have a third 20A circuit (GFCI protected via receptacle) in the kitchen that has two receptacles. Only thing connected will be a 1600W microwave. Can I (should I) put these two sets of switched lights on this circuit instead of the lighting circuit?
mystic_cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
Electrician

Kitchen circuits

Lighting is not allowed on the small appliance branch circuits. Doesn’t matter how many you have, or how ‘under-utilized’ there are. SABC’s for kitchens can only supply receptacles, and only in the kitchen, dining rooms, pantrys, etc. associated with that kitchen. No other outlets are allowed on them (a receptacle is not an outlet).

Old 07-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #11
DIYer

Kitchen circuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
Lighting is not allowed on the small appliance branch circuits. Doesn’t matter how many you have, or how ‘under-utilized’ there are. SABC’s for kitchens can only supply receptacles, and only in the kitchen, dining rooms, pantrys, etc. associated with that kitchen. No other outlets are allowed on them (a receptacle is not an outlet).
Thanks for the reply. Now I'm confused. I thought an outlet was the same thing as a receptacle. What's the difference?

receptacle?

outlet?

Last edited by mystic_cobra; 07-31-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
Electrician

Kitchen circuits

2008 NEC definitions:

Outlet: A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment. Layman’s terms: A point where electricity can be tapped to supply equipment. Junction boxes, switch boxes, light boxes, etc. An outlet box does not necessarily need to have a device installed in/on it.

Receptacle: A receptacle is a contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug. A single receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yoke. Layman’s terms: A device that a cord cap can be plugged into to receive power.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
DIYer

Kitchen circuits

Ok, so would it be correct to say, "an outlet is a box in a circuit where a receptacle or switch may be installed".

Would that be correct?

So, what properties define a kitchen SABC. Is it any circuit with receptacles above a kitchen counter? Any circuit with receptacles in a kitchen?
Old 07-31-2011, 09:40 AM   #14
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,240

Kitchen circuits

It can only be in the Kitchen & Dining area. Basically where food is prepared & eaten in the home. Of course, most people eat in their living rooms, home offices, outside also. This circuit can not feed other rooms in the home (ie hallway, basement, bedroom, living room, etc.).
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:43 AM   #15
Electrician

Kitchen circuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_cobra View Post
Thanks for the reply. Now I'm confused. I thought an outlet was the same thing as a receptacle. What's the difference?

receptacle?
Above is a picture of one type of receptacle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_cobra View Post
outlet?

This is a picture of a receptacle with its cover plate installed. The outlet is what the receptacle is mounted in.