Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 262

kitchen cabinet moved/electrical wires from fixture

have been putting off dealing with this for a bit....

had to move a kitchen cabinet up and over a bit to create some space for a larger refrigerator recently purchased.

under the cabinet there was some lighting. Pretty sure it worked when we first moved in a few years ago. although it wasn't working when I moved the cabinet. I tried a new bulb. still didn't work. i am assuming the fixture is dead. it appears to be old.

in this pic, the white wire off the fixture is cut. it's going nowhere.

at first, i wanted to take the wire out of the wall, but I have no idea how it is run. so that option seems off.

I am guessing the path of least resistance is to test the wires to see if they are hot, and install a new fixture under the cabinet.

another option would be to not worry about the fixture and just put the wire in a box.

just trying to come up with a game plan, a novice with electrical. thanks for taking a look.

joetab24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:52 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,344

Where does that piece of romex come from? It should be BX going to that fixture from a junction box, not just poking through a hole in the wall. Most likely you nicked one of the wires in the jacket, is why it is not working, or loose connection in the fixture.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Lic Electrical Inspector

Rewards Points: 1,068

Check the basement directly under the kitchen for the wire. If you live in a rancher you can look in the attic also. You may just have to put a JB (junction box, GZ) on the end of it.
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #4

thanks for the replies guys,

i opened the wall a bit. here is another look.

i can't tell if the wire is coming from the basement or attic. I think I'd prefer to just put the wires in a junction box.

haven't done this before. but I will educate myself first and ask any questions that I have before doing anything.

space is a bit limited here, with the cab right above. i have to look for a box that would work in this space. any suggestions? when I get to the store I am sure I will see one that fits.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Nice hidden junction point. It is obvious that who ever did the work, did not know what they were doing. Who knows how many other hidden junction points there are from their bubba work.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Nice hidden junction point. It is obvious that who ever did the work, did not know what they were doing. Who knows how many other hidden junction points there are from their bubba work.
this wire was connected to the fixture. Had to cut the fixture wire to move the cabinet. When I cut the fixture wire, I put wire nuts and tape on, knowing that I would have to deal with this soon.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by electures View Post
Check the basement directly under the kitchen for the wire. If you live in a rancher you can look in the attic also. You may just have to put a JB (junction box, GZ) on the end of it.
what does GZ mean? (junction box, GZ)
Old 08-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetab24 View Post
what does GZ mean? (junction box, GZ)
Just ignore what the other person stated, it has nothing to do with your situation. As for fixing it, find out if you have any electricity on the junction point that that piece of romex runs from, and cap from there. I am going to take a stab and guess that it feeds from the dual gang that the two outlets are at to the bottom left of that cabinet in picture 2.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:11 PM   #9

"and cap from there"

proving my inexperience here. I apologize. So if there is electricity, when you say cap it. Do you mean put it in a junction box?

Thanks, Joe
Old 08-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Yes, cap the ends that are hanging at the junction box, after you find out where the romex goes. No need to have it just hanging there possibly live, and allow someone to get shocked. You can get a "no-touch" tester that will allow you to verify if the line is live. It uses the induction current from the electrons flowing through the line to have the tester beep if there is a possibility that it is live.

Are there any other fixtures in this room, or in the house, that the prev. owner did this "hack" job like you found on this one cabinet? I would go through and at this point check anything that they may have touched, and make sure that everything is on the up to up, and not going to cause any problems down the road, especially with electricity.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #11

if I haven't used up all of my questions

what is a hidden junction point?

"cap the ends that are hanging at the junction box"

are you talking about the outlet? what's the problem here? I've been looking at the wire with the electrical tape and yellow caps? (is that the Romex wire) Did he do something wrong here, as well?

Ignorance here. I wasn't aware that anything was wrong with what the previous owner did. Trying to understand what he did wrong.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #12
Retired from the grind

A hidden junction point is exactly that. It is a connection that is behind the wall, that you have to basically tear into the wall to unhook. When you make a junction point, it should be made in a way, that you should not have to remove cabinets, cut into walls, or destroy the structure to fix. As for capping the end, if you are leaving that tail of Romex hanging out of the wall, I would make a better termination of the ends, and wrap the wire-nuts, so that they can not be easily removed, or cause problems if someone comes into contact. The way you have it now, it is really a temporary fix, which means I would find out if the romex goes into that outlet box as I noted, and just pull it out. It should not be hard to pull up the new wiring, which ideally can be armored or BX if you are going to run it that way again from the recepticle/2-gang box.