Kidde Smoke Alarms FALSE Alarms - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kidde Smoke Alarms FALSE alarms

We had this problem about two years ago but replaced the defective detector. Here is the problem, the stupid thing goes off, but because they are all linked, all the darn detectors go off, so there is no way to find the bad apple. Of course, it was the night before the first day of school so the absolute worst possible time, 3:30 am when the hell raising noise started. These are hard-wired units, no dead battery issue. Power was on, no smoke, no problems, just waking everyone up from a dead sleep. In my opinion, Kidde smoke detectors are true pieces of crap, and the stupid code calls for one in every room. Pure torture. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by DSmith1; 08-22-2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Meant years but said weeks, still blotto from detectors going off in middle of the night
DSmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Lic Elect/Inspector/CPO

Rewards Points: 250

You did not state what model you have installed.

On 1275 you can locate the offending alarm. It will be the unit that is blinking after the alarm goes off.

Nuisance alarms can also be caused by external contaminants.

There may be dust or insects in the alarm chamber. Even in clean environments dust will collect in the sample chamber. This will cause the alarm to be overly sensitive and cause it to go into alarm. Insects can have the same effect and the movement of the insects in and out of the chamber will cause the alarm to go into alarm. If the unit seems to go into alarm mostly at night, it could be due to insects

You can try cleaning them by using a vacum with a crevice tool or using comressed air

Advertisement

NJMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

I've have the same problem with my BRK's. I installed them in 2002. A few of them were replaced by the company for a recall. I usually clean them out with compressed air when I change the batteries. Occasionally they still go off and I suspect it is tiny insects getting into the chamber. I am going to replace all of them soon with hardwired smokes that will be tied into my security/fire panel. They seem to be more reliable than the line voltage type.
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #4

We had our kidde smoke and carbon monoxide alarms keep going off even after replacing the batteries, The model KN-COPE-1 and they're only put in 8 months ago. It's really annoying!!!!
krazieehorsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:37 AM   #5

Same problem here and it was at exactly 3:30 am - what's up with that?!
Vinsont70 is offline   Reply With Quote