Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Key card switch for hotel

Hi,
I'm thinking of starting a business where I promote to hotels a key card system that requires the guest to insert key card into a slot to turn the electricity on.
<Link Removed>
However, I'm not an electrician so I don't know how easy/hard it is for the hotel to install it.
Could someone tell me how much effort would be required to install this device. Ideally, I like to install it so that it leaves certain appliances still on e.g. mini bar and some power point.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 01-03-2014 at 11:41 AM.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,220

You could sell them, but they would have to hire an electrician licensed for commercial buildings, to install the wiring and box, to allow your people or whoever the hotel hires to connect the units.

It sounds like a neat idea, but you end up with those who are in a rush, and may forget to pull the card out as they leave, or just leave the spare key card in there. It would need a way of sensing if there is a person inside the room, to turn off the lights after a period.

Now the bad side. It would allow someone to go into the system, to see if the room is occupied at that moment or not, which means that there needs to be security measures in place, so that no one without proper access can see those time logs.

It probably would be easier to just switch over to LED lighting, and when housekeeping goes through the room, that they as they have done for ages, turn off or adjust the Heating/Cooling unit to the non-occupied setting, turn off all lights in the room, other than one lower light near the door, that would stay on all the time, for egress purposes.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 01-03-2014 at 09:14 AM.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

To let you know, there are hospitality trade shows, both here in the U.S. and over in Europe, that you would need to take that product to, to show it off. You would need a way of demonstrating the unit to prospective clients.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,490

The hotel also has to be using key cards and key cards that are compatible with the unit. Otherwise they need to upgrade the door locks as well.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 540

It already exists. Back in 2006 I spent 2 weeks touring China. All of the hotels had a slot on the wall in the room that the key card goes into to turn on the power to the room. It's easily bypassed with a spare key.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,144

Another solution in search of a problem.
If you get past the locked door with a key card, why do you need to insert the card in the slot ? A simple switch works just fine.

I think if I ran into one of these, I would be tempted to check out and go down the street. Hopefully the next hotel would be run by someone with more common sense.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,490

The reasoning is energy savings, so you don't leave the room with the TV etc still running wasting electricity.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 506

How very Euro... This is very common in areas that they practice conservation. Not so much in the US.
gregzoll (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
It probably would be easier to just switch over to LED lighting,
Most seemed to have already switched over to CFL's. My wife hates trying to get ready in a hotel as the vanity lights are so bad.

Sounds like a good idea until it malfunctions. Imagine a the hotel is full but a paying guest doesn't have electricity in their room because the card reader broke.
herdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan View Post
Most seemed to have already switched over to CFL's. My wife hates trying to get ready in a hotel as the vanity lights are so bad.

Sounds like a good idea until it malfunctions. Imagine a the hotel is full but a paying guest doesn't have electricity in their room because the card reader broke.
Depends on the wattage of the bulbs they are using. I am going back to pick up the higher wattage LED 800 LUM 6500k LED bulbs for our bath. We had 13w 6500k CFL's in there, which gave a lot of light on the vanity, but the light for the fart fan, still looks dim. I want to do something different with that unit, so I get more light across the ceiling, due to no matter how much wattage of CFL or LED we use up there, it is still dim on that half of our bath, which is only 6x11.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,310

The problem is solved with motion detectors. It also allows the hotel to know when the room is occupied....comes in handy if there is an emergency and they need to evacuate rooms.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
but the light for the fart fan,
LOL.

When I was installing my Lutron system I told my wife I was going to label the keypad for the bathroom fan with the speeds: Low, Medium & Mexican (the food, not the people). She thought it was funny but still did not approve.
herdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to herdfan For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-05-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 04:35 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Motion detectors is not a good idea as people can be sleeping. Anyway, does anyone have any idea on how complicate is it to install this device into an existing hotel?
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #14
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 506

We stayed in a hotel last week that had that system. Worked fine. Still allowed one or two lights to be left on, so the room isn't completely dark. Turned off the TV, not the fridge. About a minute or so delay before the lights went off.

I'm thinking that if the card is going to turn off more than the switch did originally (other lights, TV, etc), the retrofit will be (very) expensive. Unless the system includes wireless remotes that fit into existing outlet boxes. Now that I think about it, remote receivers in outlet boxes would be the only economical way to retrofit such a system.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Hi,
I'm thinking of starting a business where I promote to hotels a key card system that requires the guest to insert key card into a slot to turn the electricity on.
<Link Removed>
However, I'm not an electrician so I don't know how easy/hard it is for the hotel to install it.
Could someone tell me how much effort would be required to install this device. Ideally, I like to install it so that it leaves certain appliances still on e.g. mini bar and some power point.
The idea has merrit! Cause one big concern for bussuness now days is minimissing energy useage.

How easy it is to install, depends on how the existing rooms are wired,
But basically involves at least two power feeds for each room.
All possible, but usually not easy, unless each room has it's own sub board. Then its easier.

So retro fitting usually not easy !

But if you can demonstrate significant savings in power use,
Then it could be worthwhile.

Many hotels in Australia already use the system because A / C use can add significantly to the electricity use, and electricity is expensive here
currently 27c/ KWH .

I beleive its much cheaper in the USA !

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote