Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2007, 11:26 PM   #1

Share |

Just a little too short.

HI there.

Im rewiring my kitchen getting ready for new cabinets and some of the outlets have to be moved a few feet (unfortunately
the wrong way). There is enough wire to re-route behind the fridge.
Is it possible to put a junction box with access behind the fridge and rewire from there to the new outlets.
The distance back to main panel is a long way.

Regards,
Rusty.
rusty_5620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:55 PM   #2

Just a little too short.

You can put a junction (just about) any place you want, as long as when you're done it's accessible...which doesn't mean EASILY accessible, just accessible. You have to be able to get to the splices without removing anything permanent (from the sound of it, drywall, paster, etc. will probably be the only ones that apply to your situation).

Throw a blank cover over it or put a receptacle in the box, depending on whether you have room and also how visible it will be...a receptacle that is 12" away from another, looks a little busy IMO, but barring box fill problems, either way is fine.

Last edited by jproffer; 02-21-2007 at 11:59 PM.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:09 AM   #3

Just a little too short.

I hope Im with you.

I can't put a junction box in the wall and drywall over or cover over it with the cabinets but I can put them where they are accessible (ie- behind the dishwasher, fridge or in the cabinets).

From there I can splice into the old (and run the additional wiring to the new receptacles.

Cheers,
Rusty
rusty_5620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:51 AM   #4

Just a little too short.

you got it rusty. As long as you can open a cabinet door, or pull the fridge out, remove a blank cover and access the wires.

the key note is perminant building or structure. Taking down an entire cabinet would to access the splice would not be acceptable. Neither would cutting a hole in the drywall or wall board. moving an appliance that is not screwed down or a stack of plates would be fine.
jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote